How many here show their horses? or just trail ride?

Help Support CattleToday:

i think flaboy? might be right, but someone forgot to tell my horses about this "working" idea...my horses think they were made to eat and swish flies!

I used to show a lot. I occassionally judge schooling shows and do a little showing, and give lessons. Every year I do more cattle and less horse business. The horse business in Michigan has been going down hill for years and we also have the worst economy in the nation right now.

I used to show. Now, I try to trail ride once in a while. But, everytime I think of just grabbing something that's broke, I see the others that need the miles. Then... I get out, away from the house, and find fence that needs patched (the colts get practice standing nicely), weeds to take note of, the salt/mineral is already gone from where I just put it out... Sometimes I dream of going to a guest ranch, but, I'd probably start helping out! Anyone else have that problem?

I don't show horses,just i work'em trail ride twice a year once taking cattle to pasture once bringing them back, penning and cutting when sorting at branding time. Othewise i rent them out to a local feedlot for extras to be ridden by pen riders. It is only fair to keep a horse fit in mind and body they have to work regularily. Just my opinion but nothing more cruel than someone who lets an animal sit ilde for the whole year then rides once.

I do both.
Lots and lots of trail miles, and I also just got back into barrel racing (my mare got too old, and now my gelding is ready... :)

In fact, Sunday is the first time I've shown in 7 years. (college, etc ...)

I love showing/ racing, but I always remember the REAL reason I ride... because I LOVE horses!

Another "both" here. I dabble in dressage, and plan to do at least one eventing show this summer. But my true love is trail riding, which is one big reason why I started dressage at all. Enhances my trail horses. :)

I competed with the WPRA for many years and retired from that several years ago. Now, wouldn't you know it, after all this time I've still got the itch. Bought a new horse and here I go!! I still love to trail ride though. I think trail riding/working cattle/anything but working the pattern over and over and over is a perfect way to keep a barrel horse's mind clean and the "want to" alive in them.

We use ours around the farm moving and checking cows, some trailriding/fence checking, and do team sorting and team penning about once a week. I would like to start doing some of the working cow horse and try some cutting.

I mainly use horses for work on the ranch: checking cattle and horses, riding fence, checking hay field, etc. However, my wife loves showing and has grown up showing in games and pleasure events. Never know, I may end up in the show ring in ranch based events.

we show, when we arent useing them to work cattle. and then we go to rodeos all the times and compete in ropin, sliding, cutting, barrels, poles, and every thing else

Latest posts