How many days since calving do you AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

AussieLim

Reaction score
Hello AI breeders,

Just a quick talking point to throw up. We are looking to AI next month & are going through the calving book to work out joinings & what late cows can't be included in the Round 1 AI. We only AI cows that are a minimum of 40 days post calving.

What do other breeders use as a guide?

I had a dairy customer that wanted to grow like a weed at all costs. We hit everything with lut at twenty eight days in milk and started ov sync five days later on whatever didn't show me a heat. We did that for about two years. The cows were low producers and the feed was junk but we did get quite a few of them stuck. As I recall we ran around four services per conception and then it shot back up on the next cycle.
The problem was/is that when you push it will come off of either the calf she has now(or milk machine) or her back, or the calf you just installed... One or more of the three animals involved will most likely be nothing special.

I use 45 days if I am putting them in a synch program (unless I have already seen them cycle once prior to), but would breed at much less than that if it was a natural cycle depending on the age and body condition of the female. Calving on grass we regularily have cows re-cyle naturally in 20-30 days. I probably wouldn't AI a 20 cow but would probably use a 30 day cow.

Willow Springs":1gkuri9e said:
I use 45 days if I am putting them in a synch program (unless I have already seen them cycle once prior to), but would breed at much less than that if it was a natural cycle depending on the age and body condition of the female. Calving on grass we regularily have cows re-cyle naturally in 20-30 days. I probably wouldn't AI a 20 cow but would probably use a 30 day cow.
We don;t sync anymore, but use the same criteria. We bred one cow at 18 days and she settled. Never seemed to hurt her for subsequent pregnancys or calf quality. But I prefer 30 days.

We are with Dun on this. We breed on natural heat, so if she comes in at 20 days she gets stuck. Never had problems with those that do stick! Our embryologist would like them at least 40 days, but that is because it is not so cheap to lose an embryo because the cow was not ready.

Latest posts