How long

Help Support CattleToday:

What shots do you reccomend? I currently black leg, vaccinate, and worm twice per year. The calves only get one round.

Just be honest and let them know how long it has been weaned for. The buyers here "45 days weaned" so often they sometimes ignore it. It catches their attention if someone says "24 days" and usually not in a bad way.

I have seen it many time at the big sales in OKC where they tell the buyers they are "straight off the mamas". Discount is less if what is stated matches what they see.

I'd suggest going to the Sale Barn & watching how the calves sell; take note of the price difference. Whether or not they're "fully weaned" (minimum 30 days around here) & vaccinated may be contingent on geography or simply timing/the market but in my area the longer they're weaned/backgrounded the better. My calves get two rounds of shots & I rarely sell prior to 45 days weaned, quite often 90 if I hold them over the winter.

Butterbean_Farms said:
What shots do you reccomend? I currently black leg, vaccinate, and worm twice per year. The calves only get one round.

Does the vaccines you use just recommend one round? If so that's great. If not just pour it out on the ground and save yourself the work. There is a reason most vaccines say to booster. Those only work if boostered.

kenny thomas said:
Butterbean_Farms said:

Does the vaccines you use just recommend one round? If so that's great. If not just pour it out on the ground and save yourself the work. There is a reason most vaccines say to booster. Those only work if boostered.

I'm running the "exact" protocol my vet recommends, but thanks for the comments. My question was in regards to Tennessee Tuxedo's post about the second round of shots. I am vacinating/worming to put weight on them and keep,them healthy on my farm. I have no intention of selling sick cattle, but I also don't have a strong desire to put money into them that I won't see a return on, which is why I don't vacinate or worm what I send to the sale.

TCRanch, I have been to the sale barn; hence me asking the question as to what defines "weaned". The only calves I saw bring more than mine, were the ones that sold as weaned.

kenny thomas said:
Butterbean_Farms said:

Is that a fact? I have always understood that the booster raises the efficacy from say 80% to say 90+ % or something in that range.

Butterbean_Farms said:
kenny thomas said:
Butterbean_Farms said:

I'm running the "exact" protocol my vet recommends, but thanks for the comments. My question was in regards to Tennessee Tuxedo's post about the second round of shots. I am vacinating/worming to put weight on them and keep,them healthy on my farm. I have no intention of selling sick cattle, but I also don't have a strong desire to put money into them that I won't see a return on, which is why I don't vacinate or worm what I send to the sale.

TCRanch, I have been to the sale barn; hence me asking the question as to what defines "weaned". The only calves I saw bring more than mine, were the ones that sold as weaned.
Call the Sale Barn you intend to use & ask, establish a relationship, talk to the buyers - most are more than willing. "Weaned" is subjective but buyers typically prefer a minimum of 30 days, 45 even better. That said, calves that aren't backgrounded, regardless of how long they've been weaned are a potential risk. Buying calves that have a greater chance of sickness means more work & lower bottom line for buyers. THAT said, many operations wean on the trailer and the discount in price compensates for $$$ spent on vaccinations, time, etc. Your operation, your call.

Silver said:
kenny thomas said:
Butterbean_Farms said:

Is that a fact? I have always understood that the booster raises the efficacy from say 80% to say 90+ % or something in that range.
Silver, I won't speak for all vaccines but in most classes I take on vaccines it shows a graph of how well the vaccine works. Most show from day 1-14 or longer the first round gets it to about 10-15%. The second round climbs it within a couple days to 90%+.

Latest posts