how long to tie up?

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the boards and to showing cattle but have been raising Registered Braunvieh cattle for several years. We are getting in to showing and I have found this board very helpful.

Was wondering how long you typically tie heads up each day?
In the past we have had problems with cattle wanting to lay down on show day after they are fitted, is this b/c we have not been tying heads up daily?

Thanks!

We tie our steers for 5 hours every day. Then they are up during rinsing brushing/blowing and woking. Start with an hour and gradually work your way up. Reduces the risk of htem laying down and getting hurt. One of the kids in our county killed his steer last year by tying it too long right off. Stupid thing tried to lay down then couldn't get back up. Hung itself.

Build them up to at least 5 hours like hraz said. It helps them build endurace for haveing to stand for long periods of time in the chute and in the showring.

braunvieh":808ruxvf said:
Hi everyone, I am new to the boards and to showing cattle but have been raising Registered Braunvieh cattle for several years. We are getting in to showing and I have found this board very helpful.

Was wondering how long you typically tie heads up each day?
In the past we have had problems with cattle wanting to lay down on show day after they are fitted, is this b/c we have not been tying heads up daily?

Thanks!
Start at 30 mins and build up to 5 hrs a day.