How Long till steer "Unamrned"

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Banded some bull calves at weaning in Dec. I've got grass and hay and so don't want to sell them until March or April. Around the 1st of Feb I need to put them with the weaned heifers while I do some fence replacement which would be about 7 weeks after banding. Years ago when I asked, the vet told me bull calves were still "armed and dangerous" with "in tract" semen for up to 3 months after banding. Seems to long to me (since I want it to be shorter right now). What do you folks consider a safe amount of time for a steered bull calf to be "unarmed"?

Thanks RAB

I guess I could give the heifers a shot of Lute after after I pull the bull calves back out if I get to nervous.

dcara, I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure glad to see that there is some grass left in Texas! Between the drought and the fires, you guys have had a very rough year and I feel so bad for you. Here's to the drought breaking and things getting back to some semblance of normal!

Thanks for the good wishes MS. 99% of TX has suffered terribly. The small area I'm in has been incredibly fortunate. Last I checked the CPD predicts the drought will continue thru 2012 which is going to make this year down right scary. My tanks filled with water the last couple of rains so at least I shouldn't wake up anymore over that.

Latest posts