how fast can calves grow

Help Support CattleToday:

mlang0610

Reaction score
Do smaller calves gain less weight per day? or can all calves gain 2-3 pounds per day. Mine weigh 250-300 and only gain 1 a day at best.

It depends on the genetics. Our bull calves gain between 2 and 2.55 pounds per day. Our heifers gain between 1.56 and 2.15 pounds per day. These gains take place between birth and weaning time. We don't creep feed, all they get is mother's milk and grass. Our bulls are weaned around 600-650 lbs and our heifers are in the low to mid 500's.

What are you feeding them that they only gains pound a day. I'm not happy with less than 2.5 a day on anything. It all depends on you cattle though. Some do take off around 400 to 500lbs, but it's hard to say about yours without knowing more.

mlang0610":36x68htx said:
Do smaller calves gain less weight per day? or can all calves gain 2-3 pounds per day. Mine weigh 250-300 and only gain 1 a day at best.

Not usually, no. Smaller calves generally should be gaining weight at a faster rate than what ADG your calves are at now (yes to 2 to 3 lbs per day), then growth starts tapering off when they are reaching maturity. Feed and genetics have a huge factor in weight gain and growth rate, so it sounds like you need to have a close look at what you're feeding them and have a chat with a nutritionist or vet to see what can be changed to get them to gain more than the one pound a day *at best.* The biggest nutritional factors that limit growth: protein and energy. If you're short on those, then you'll be short on your calves' ADG.

We don't give any extra feed, all what calves get is mothers milk. One bull calf we've gains ~3.3lbs per day, others ~3- 3.26lbs, heifers ~2.7-3.25lbs.
I'm sure it depents on genetics. The bull, those calves are sired by, was fast growing: was sold at age of 22 months, weigh 1510lbs, got ~2.2lbs triticale per day for 4 months since weaning and then was let into the herd to work, where he has been working for 7 months.
We've used many bulls and by some calves were fast growing, by anothers weren't out of the same dams.

Latest posts