How Does A Salebarn Work?

Help Support CattleToday:

mossy_oak23

Reaction score
I've never been to a sale barn and was wondering what the general idea and format of this is?

From what I understand its where people sell there culls and lower end livestock? Is it just cattle?

The general idea is a way to dispose of animals, the format is typically governed by the state as to what kind of testing is done. Generally speaking, you back up to a gate, unload your animals, and they are moved into a numbered pen that is then called a 'lot' when they are ran through the ring. The lot will be announced by the auctioneer so anyone who has gone out back into the yard and seen your animals will know which one's he is selling. No, the salebarn is not just a way to dispose of culls, and you have misunderstood the function of the salebarn completely. While it is a way to dispose of culls, many sale barns also hold special sales that cater to breeding age heifers, goats, sheep, etc, as well as bred cows, goats, sheep, etc. They also hold special sales for weaning age calves, as well as various other livestock. Some heifers/cows are guaranteed bred or open(as the case may be), but usually they are not and then it is the luck of the draw. All sale barns charge fees for yardage, commission, scrapie(for goats/sheep), inspection/health, etc, and they can be either a flat fee or a percentage of the purchase price - yardage, feed, and scrapie tend to be a flat fee per head, while commission tends to be a percantage of the purchase price. If your state tests for Bangs, that tends to be a flat fee per head, too. Preg testing is also usually a flat fee per head. If you are selling you can pick up your check - usually within an hour or two of them going through the ring - at the window in the office marked seller. If you are buying, you need to visit the office prior to the sale to get a number to show the auctioneer. He will record your number any time you're the highest bidder. When you're done buying animals, you visit the office - at the window marked buyer - pay for them, go to the outload(could be called something different in different areas), give the people at the loading chute you're paperwork, they go get your purchased animals, load them, and you take them home. That is the basics of how a salebarn works. I'm sure I probably left something out, but the rest of of the board members will fill it in.

That's pretty much it msscamp.

Entire estates of fine cattle go through the sale barn often.

Yes there are some culls that go through - maybe 10% of the animals there? You see cases where one man's junk is another man's treasure on culls. At times the animals simply haven't had proper care and can be had cheap.

A ring man generally starts the bid prices based on fair market prices. The auctioneer goes from there. If no takers, the prices drop. Once the bidding starts it generally takes off.

I often linger around 6 different sale barns in this area. Each is a little different but they all are alike at the same time.

The sale barn gives cattlemen a market place. Your animals are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and no more.

If you have never been to the sale barn, you ought to go a time or two to understand the cattle market.

The cattle can be sold as individuals and cow calf pairs also. It all depends on the sale. I'd suggest going and watching a sale before you buy so that you can see how it is run.

I went to a sale with my oldest daughter to buy a calf. The auctioneer worked quickly and a bit different than the sale I normally go to. After I bought a calf, my daughter said, "Mom, you realize you just bought the one on the scale." Well, I didn't realize that, but it was OK. Luckily it wasn't a dud. My family still laughs about it. :oops:

You have recieved some great info here and there is good money to be made buying and selling at the sale barn.
The buying part is not for rookies as it is buyer beware if you don't have the eye it can be a costly learning experience.

Be prepared to be loud and make strong movments on any you are interested in. The regular buyers and order buyers usually have "reserved" seating right up front. They will always have the auctioneers eye trained on them and sometimes the little guy gets overlooked.
Also, it moves awful fast so you need to know what you are looking for before it starts. 10 second biddin start to finish is long. I agree that you should go to a few before you think about buying just to get a feel for how fast it goes.

chippie":1hden599 said:
The auctioneer worked quickly and a bit different than the sale I normally go to. After I bought a calf, my daughter said, "Mom, you realize you just bought the one on the scale." Well, I didn't realize that, but it was OK.

I sold some once and stayed to watch. Another guy was still trying to P.O. a cow on the scales while mine was in the ring. Sort of the same thing. It concerned me because bidding stopped on my cow. The spotters figured out what was happening. Thankfully they put mine in the side lot and brought the other cow back. Someone then asked, "What about this one?" and I immediately responded, "That ones mine and she's for sell"

There are both regional differences and just differences from one barn to another. Some will have a ring scale so you can see what the animal you are bidding on weighs. Some the animal gets weighed after it sells. At those you better be good at guessing weight.
I think where they get the reputation for having sick animals is people who don't know cattle buying a sick one. A sick one comes through and it is selling cheap so they think they are getting a goood deal. Reality is that the reason it is so cheap is it is already sick. The experienced buyer recognize that and don't want it.

I churn a few salebarn girls every year, it is fast action. If you are a regular buyer where I shop they will slow it down for you on the run through if you are bidding. This is a small sale couple hundred cows bout twice that many calves. It is a Saturaday sale and has lots of weekenders from the big city selling their stock.
Now if you go to Crockett you had better put your seat belt on as they are running a couple thousand head, not the place for a rookie to start and you had better have a keen discerning eye.

was at the salebarn couple sat's ago. apparently they let the penhookers loose again,, cause their he was in full uniform bib overalls stuffed with 100 dollar bills.... hollin' will you price em?? apparently couple fellers did while i was waiting,,, """"BEWARE OF THE PENHOOKERS"""

kenny thomas":3epuki1m said:
Bib overalls and $100 bills, that could be me. :D No wait I only have $1 bills.
Come to VA and I give free lessions on the days I sell. :secret:

I'm confused I haven't figured out what is wrong with bibs or 100 dollar bills, I like both.
Bibs are like a fine hotel versus a cheap motel.

Salebarn is a riot!! If you haven't gone, I highly recommend it. Just go watch a few times. I have had the opposite experience of hooknline, I have found that if you buy one, you'd better be careful not to blink sideways or your pen will be filled by the time you go to get it. :help: If your going to buy, get there early and watch the animals in back, write down tag numbers of the ones you want and that look and act healthy. Decide what you will pay for it. And don't be afraid to go home empty ~ if its not there this week, maybe next week or the week after. Be picky. But go!

i have been going since i was toddler(i am 50) and i love to go. my papa worked at one and he set me(3) and my brother(5) on the front row while he worked in eye sight of us, and i was addicted.i can stay for hours, go to a local smaller one and go to a regional one. like they said fast pace but don't do anything till you get use to what is going on. i like to go in the back and look around.

Dixieangus":15z6f3ud said:
does that auction sught cost dun
Nope, you just register and you can watch any of them. Don;t know about if you want to bid though. I think that's free too but don;t recall if I'm signed up to bid or not

you have to register for each sale, then after awhile there is list of the ones you can bid on. once they get your info it is easy to register. you need to register to bid before the day of the sale so they can process it.

jcarkie":3cxf75d4 said:
i have been going since i was toddler(i am 50) and i love to go. my papa worked at one and he set me(3) and my brother(5) on the front row while he worked in eye sight of us, and i was addicted.i can stay for hours, go to a local smaller one and go to a regional one. like they said fast pace but don't do anything till you get use to what is going on. i like to go in the back and look around.
Basically the same with me. My uncle took me all over the state. While he was buying he parked my butt with the man on the scales. I had to write down my estimate of weight on every animal or lot. Then write down the actual. He told me I could join him when my average was within 5 lbs. of actual. I think I got to join him once. :lol: But to this day am still not to bad and still cannot resist the urge to look over the scale mans shoulder.

Latest posts