How do you.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
For those of you who live in an area where there is little or no humidity, how do you keep from getting shocked everytime you slide out of the truck and close the door?

Here in Alabama we usually have 90%+ humidity but now we are down in the 25-30% range. I get popped everytime I get out of the truck and close the door. I have tried holding the keys and touching the door but still get bit.

I know this is kinda' whinney but was just wondering how you deal with it.

Nowland Farms":eklfbwzw said:
For those of you who live in an area where there is little or no humidity, how do you keep from getting shocked everytime you slide out of the truck and close the door?

Here in Alabama we usually have 90%+ humidity but now we are down in the 25-30% range. I get popped everytime I get out of the truck and close the door. I have tried holding the keys and touching the door but still get bit.

Stop putting Afro-Sheen in your hair. :shock: If it really bothers you, spray your seats with that static spray.

Nowland Farms":3lv9ghum said:

I have never found a solution to this. But, thanks to the internet I know this static electricity can cause the whole gas station to go up in a fireball.
If you find a solution, let me know. Wear cotton is probably a starter. Wool and fleece are the worst.

We get down to less than 10% all the time in the summer. "Red Fire Danger" alerts are all over the radios when the wind starts blowing. But I don't get shocked. Don't guess I ever have. This is a new one on me. Maybe the ground is too dry during these times.

If you hold your hand on a metal part of the door before you start to slide out and keep it there until you're standing on the ground, you won't get shocked.

backhoeboogie":39ghusxl said:
We get down to less than 10% all the time in the summer. "Red Fire Danger" alerts are all over the radios when the wind starts blowing. But I don't get shocked. Don't guess I ever have. This is a new one on me. Maybe the ground is too dry during these times.

10%? Are you kidding? I don't think we ever drop under 80% here.

ga. prime":1xoqow8s said:
If you hold your hand on a metal part of the door before you start to slide out and keep it there until you're standing on the ground, you won't get shocked.

That was my thought, too. We don't have a problem with static electricity in the summer here even though our humidity is low. But it does build up in colder, dry weather.

It has been particularly bad here in NE Oklahoma this winter. I've had some shocks that sent a blue flame from the metal of the door to my poor hand as I've reached to shut the door of the pickup. What I've learned to do to compensate is to lower my leg and let it touch the lower frame of the door as I'm getting out of the pickup. This discharges the shock with minimal pain (through my britches on my lower leg) and then I can close the door without the dreaded SHOCK to my hand!

Cowboy 2.0":30g1qmmi said:
backhoeboogie":30g1qmmi said:

10%? Are you kidding? I don't think we ever drop under 80% here.

You must live close to the coast or else in East Texas. We have been in single digit relative humidity here several times in the past two years. Have you watched the news with all the wildfires we had here the last two summers?

I got out of my truck one time and kissed my wife on the lips. Got a bad static shock. Kinda hurt too.

Dick

docgraybull":y90oszgq said:
It has been particularly bad here in NE Oklahoma this winter. I've had some shocks that sent a blue flame from the metal of the door to my poor hand as I've reached to shut the door of the pickup. What I've learned to do to compensate is to lower my leg and let it touch the lower frame of the door as I'm getting out of the pickup. This discharges the shock with minimal pain (through my britches on my lower leg) and then I can close the door without the dreaded SHOCK to my hand!

That's what I do. I have getting shocked.