how do you tube

Help Support CattleToday:

I use the ball tip infuser, harder to get down the wrong pipe and less chance of hurting the animal.
I straddle the calf with it's rear in a corner, hold its head back a bit and run the tube down on the top of its tongue. You can feel the tube going down the esophgaus...if you can't feel it you are not positioned properly, don't introduce any liquid, remove and try again. Pretty easy actually just don't play around, slide it down and get the liquid in and get the tube out. Only had to tube one last year first one in years.
And that' how's we do it around here...good luck to you.
DMc

Like Susie said, but try to let the calf swallow the tube as it goes down, that way is less likely you will get it in the lungs. If the calf coughs or burps, etc, you are in the lungs. Pull up and start over. When in the "stomach" let the liquids flow and don't stop until its gone. 1 to 2 quarts at a time.

Another method if the calf wont suck on a bottle:

Get a 1 liter pop bottle.

Put the cap on it so some liquid comes out.

Place in the corner of the mouth and see if the calf will suck.

If it won't, you can squeeze a little liquid and get the calf to swallow whats in the mouth.

This has saved calves for us when the tube wasn't available.

hey thanks for your help i might not have to tube him after all he sucks a little bit but not much i'm doing IV fluids sub Q right now and he made it through the night your help is greatly appreciated

I have a calf that wont nurse or even swallow. I've tube fed it twice with success, however it has since develloped a siezure of some sort and sharp pains. I've administred 3 cc NewFlor intermucular and are waiting for results. I plan to give it Resorb upon next feeding if it will hold on that long.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

avandorin":36w87rs9 said:
I have a calf that wont nurse or even swallow. I've tube fed it twice with success, however it has since develloped a siezure of some sort and sharp pains. I've administred 3 cc NewFlor intermucular and are waiting for results. I plan to give it Resorb upon next feeding if it will hold on that long.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

If you have some banamine/supressor, that might make the calf feel easier...give the calf some pain relief. And, call the vet.

Alice

hi y'all he is doing much better eating on his own like a calf should and no signs of sickness except gritting his teeth? and ideas? i have a call into the vet but haven't heard back from him yet

calf saver":99m0u0zg said:
hi y'all he is doing much better eating on his own like a calf should and no signs of sickness except gritting his teeth? and ideas? i have a call into the vet but haven't heard back from him yet

When you talk to the vet, please tell him/her about the teeth gritting. It may mean nothing, and it may mean the calf is in pain.

Alice

I've had calves grind their teeth also, not sure what it means, if you find out let me know

GMN

hi guys i talked to the vet today and while he didn't give me a reason for the teeth grinding, he gave me two doses of Nuflor, and ab ottle of Pepto i'm supposed to give one shot today and one in four days on the nuflor, and the pepto once ounce twice a day till its gone. my last calf that had the teeth thing goin on had pnemonia, and diareahha so maybe the teeth grinding is a result in upset stomachs?

one shot of nuflow today one in 48 hours not four days my bad and on the teeth grinding check the post teeth Grinding?

Latest posts