How do you make money like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
I was at the sale barn two weeks ago, and the trotted in a bunch of 150-200 pound calves. The little dudes were bringing $2.50 -$3.00 a pound. Can anyone tell me how these thing can generate any profits by the time you raise them up? What are these people doing or thinking?

Or it could have been someones first time buying and they didn't know what was happening till they got to the :shock: pay window. :)

J":1ha9xjvs said:
Or it could have been someones first time buying and they didn't know what was happening till they got to the :shock: pay window. :)

At those prices it would have had to been at least 2 people that didn;t have a clue

dun

dun":4z3aaain said:
J":4z3aaain said:

At those prices it would have had to been at least 2 people that didn;t have a clue

dun

Not always the case I'm not trying to argue with you but a real experienced auctioneer only needs one bidder. I've seen it happen more than once. It is usually always the bidder that has to stop the auctioneer and ask if the price is per pound or per head. Then the auctioneer knows he is dealing with a rookie and they have some fun with them. Most times the bidder couldn't be happier they out bid the other guy. If they only knew what happened.

BC":193wo4b3 said:
Probably roping calves. Recreational cattle have a different value.

I'm by no means disagreeing with your statement, but up here baby calves - and I mean newborns - are bringing anywhere from 250 - 300 (sometimes more) through the salebarn. The first heifer that calved this year lost her calf and we were going to buy a calf to graft on her, but with the prices it wasn't feasible. I've often wondered how people can pay that kind of money, raise them and make a profit also.

Latest posts