How do you make jerky?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I've made the last few batches by sliceing the somewhat thawed backstrap or cheap store bought meat into thin strips. Cutting it almost frozen works good w my slicer. I marinate it over night with terriaki sauce ( cheapest I can buy at Asian market) and some cajun dry rubb and coarse ground pepper. I dehydrate it in a store bought stack machine. It's a craft for sure with a variety of success. Big it's fun! How do you do it?

I grind it and use a "jerky shooter" basicly a mini greasegun with a slotted tip

dun":zt3615hm said:
I grind it and use a "jerky shooter" basicly a mini greasegun with a slotted tip

X2. I've actually just been using hamburger from the steers we butcher and have gotten lazy about grinding any of my vension.

About the same way. I have used several Hi Mountain seasonings but prefer the original flavor the best. Hi Mountain jerky "kits" are available at Academy and Bass Pro and you can get it on line. I usually use my own cure (the pink stuff) instead of what comes in the kit which is too salty for my taste. You are right about the slicing. Most of the time I call the butcher shop a day in advance and have them put about 5 lbs of inside round in the freezer. Next day it is about perfect for slicing on a deli slicer. About 1/8" thick is what I shoot for. I add a little liquid smoke and marinate in a liquid for 24 hours. Someone told me to use root beer instead of water but haven't tried that yet. Dry the meat slices off next day and place in dehydrator for about two hours. Yum, Yum.

Latest posts