How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes?

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Does anybody know what you can apply to tomatoes, that repel chickens and guineas???Is there something that you can put on them that has tobasco sauce in it???? Gary

mermill2":3nnt87un said:
Hi everyone, Does anybody know what you can apply to tomatoes, that repel chickens and guineas???Is there something that you can put on them that has tobasco sauce in it???? Gary
Put a dog in there. My chickens aren't allowed in the yard. If they do the penalty is stiff and quick.

When the chickens get huddle together near the garden. A good automatic 12 gage loaded with some high brass # 6 shot should do the trick. ;-)

I have found that if they really want to get in the garden, they will, pretty much whatever you do. I find that looking out there several times a day and shooting at them with the pellet gun seems to keep them at bay. They don't like getting popped. My dogs are afraid of my chickens, especially the heavy breeds I have. They like to chase the banties, though. More their size.

I saw a hen take a pork chop bone away from one of my dogs one evening!

Lammie":1dy5wp34 said:
I have found that if they really want to get in the garden, they will, pretty much whatever you do. I find that looking out there several times a day and shooting at them with the pellet gun seems to keep them at bay. They don't like getting popped. My dogs are afraid of my chickens, especially the heavy breeds I have. They like to chase the banties, though. More their size.

What kind of dogs do you have?

Tod Dague":3rjirbsq said:
Lammie":3rjirbsq said:

Are you sure those are chickens and not buzzards?

dun

Thanks for all your all's tips, and humor :D The kind of dog we have is a Great Phyrnees. He ony gets after the chickens when they are trying to grab his dog food. I am not too partial to chickens, cause they try to dive bomb me, when I feed the dog. I try to keep a hat on, during this time. Gary likes fresh eggs, I wonder if they are worth the trouble????? :lol: Merry

mermill2":y8bh32t1 said:
Thanks for all your all's tips, and humor :D The kind of dog we have is a Great Phyrnees. He ony gets after the chickens when they are trying to grab his dog food. I am not too partial to chickens, cause they try to dive bomb me, when I feed the dog. I try to keep a hat on, during this time. Gary likes fresh eggs, I wonder if they are worth the trouble????? :lol: Merry
Clip one wing on all the chickens. If that doesn't keep them on the ground enter them into a chicken flying contest. ;-)

dun":3n5obnxn said:
Tod Dague":3n5obnxn said:
Lammie":3n5obnxn said:

Are you sure those are chickens and not buzzards?

dun
As a kid we had a neibor that had a mean roaster. One day their seep kicked the chicken litter out of him. He had a totaly different atitude after that. ;-)

Thanks for the replies, can;t clip their wings, coyotes probably eat them or maybe foxes Can;t kill them, their Gary's eggs, he likes so well. No they aren;t buzzards, i think buzzards eat dead animals don;t they???/ Merry

Latest posts