How do you get calves to use the creep feeder?

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Searched old posts and saw the caution on feeding replacement heifers too much, but I just want to feed a little calf starter so my girls are used to it and take a little stress off the mommas. Not planning to wean until calves are five/six months old.

So, we built a nice feeder two days ago that the calves can fit through but mommas cannot. Simple design with slated sides so they can see their mommas. It's located next to where I feed the cows and where they get water, but I haven't seen them in there yet. I have gotten them to eat alfalfa that I toss to them after mommas are fed and I have seen them sneak a bite of grain next to mom in the trough, but they get crowded out. I put a small black bucket in the feeder pen that is what they are used to and have eaten grain/alfalfa out of before. Filled it with a little of each and put it in the pen, but nobody is eating it yet. One calf is 5 weeks old and the other is 3 weeks old.

Thanks!

be patient, they will get curious and go into the creep feeder sooner or later. Your calves are still very young and won't eat much at best, at this stage all they need in their mothers' milk.

Make sure the grain and alfalfa in the creep feeder is fresh, might be worth giving the left overs to the cows every second day or so and replace the calve's with fresh grain and hay.

Okay, thanks. I was hoping there was a trick to luring them in. I'll try to be patient.

Thanks for the tip about freshening the feed.

:D

Little Cow, ours don't show much interest in any grain until they're about 2 months old. As soon as they start to check out what their mothers are getting, I give them a little pan of their own and the fun begins. They may only get a bite or two at first, but figure it out pretty fast and then wait in line for their little pans every day. I think it's a good idea, though, to give the calves theirs in a protected area so the moms don't steal it all, which they will!

Little cow,

Put some of mamma's feed just outside and inside the creep gate. So momma can put her head through and reach the feed. ( gate openings should be no larger then 17 in wide by 36 in high with a 2 X 6 across the bottom so mamma doesn't get on her knees and craw in) And put the calf's pads just past the reach of mamma. The calves will go in to eat with mamma and find their pans and not be pushed away.
It's called baiting.

Another thing you can try is, when you feed mamma and she is eating, put some feed on both sides of the gate on the ground for the little fellows to eat after they have been pushed away by momma.
Another thing is to feed momma close to the creep gate, if possible. ( just to one side or the other, or about 6 ft back from it and put the little fellers food just inside the gate out of reach of mamma.
SL

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Gale- the older girl is already showing interest, but the younger is only semi-interested. At birth, both calves were quick to get up and figure out how to get a meal. I mean, really quick, and with great appetites. Such a lovely sight to see in the newborns! The oldest was sampling grass on day 2. So, I hoped they might be just as eager for grain. I see your point, though, so I won't fret if they don't get more than a taste of grain for a awhile.

SL- Thanks for the ideas. I tried a version of one of them. I'll work on getting the calves to get a stronger association between the pans and "goodies".