How do we know what to do

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
Last weeks issue of a ag publication contained aricles for drought situations. One article touted the use of corn silage.
A few pages over another warned of the hazards of feeding corn sileage. So which is it? Both authors were extension people the ones we are to seek advise from. But if they can't make up their minds!! geeez louise

And it been awhile since this came up on the boards, but feeling like most here don't encourage it I was surprized to find this article.
"Feeding poultry litter still a viable option" by Robert L. Seay
Benton Co. Extension agent.
http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/Agriculture/38361/

I read another article a year or so ago talking about we had to feed poultry litter because we would become buried in it otherwise.

Sometimes I feel as lost as a goose in a snowstorm.

You know, I was a contractor--ocassionaly I did work for this interior decorator--She really just found out what people wanted to do and then went along with them, people thought she was great.So when it comes to experts I quit going to the "degree people" Oh! they can make things grow or whatever ;but theres never any money left for me

my nieghbour has 2 sons -one has a degree in agricultiure the other worked for hydro must have some kind of certificate well quess whose running the farm --the hydro guy The one with the degree in ag.is an air traffic controller.Well at least hes not giveing out useless advise.

So when it comes to advice I go to the old boys --like man .a guy who farmed sussesfully for 50 years has got to know a lot obout how to do it and MAKE MONEY

carl

dj":2c1h28zf said:
Last weeks issue of a ag publication contained aricles for drought situations. One article touted the use of corn silage.
A few pages over another warned of the hazards of feeding corn sileage. So which is it? Both authors were extension people the ones we are to seek advise from. But if they can't make up their minds!! geeez louise

Maybe both, depending on the area's in question. Just because something won't work in one area does not mean it won't work in another. Maybe neither if personal prejudices or preferences have colored the viewpoint of the author. What is wrong with taking the major points of both articles, doing a little research, applying a little common sense and drawing your own conclusion based on your area and operation?

And it been awhile since this came up on the boards, but feeling like most here don't encourage it I was surprized to find this article.
"Feeding poultry litter still a viable option" by Robert L. Seay
Benton Co. Extension agent.
http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/Agriculture/38361/

I read another article a year or so ago talking about we had to feed poultry litter because we would become buried in it otherwise.

I'm not even getting into the chicken litter thing, except to say I wouldn't do it because I don't think its a viable option.

Sometimes I feel as lost as a goose in a snowstorm.

Welcome to the cattle business, and life in general! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cowspider, I was wondering which was better for the cows, chicken poop or your wifes cooking? Thanks for the laugh. You are a brave man! :lol: :lol:

Wow.......disappointing that litter still considered viable option with it's probable connection to BSE.

rk":3eo4s58l said:
Wow.......disappointing that litter still considered viable option with it's probable connection to BSE.

I wasn't aware that there was a BSE connection. I just have always wondered how you would sell a steer fed chicken litter. If you had to talk one to one to that customer. I wouldn't buy one. If it was cheaper, I'd still spend more for corn fed.

Cows rumen is a wonderful thing. But emotion has to rule in this one. It's just a gut reaction. I fed what I eat at home. Away from home, I try not to think about it.

john250":3vlywamb said:
rk":3vlywamb said:

I wasn't aware that there was a BSE connection. I just have always wondered how you would sell a steer fed chicken litter. If you had to talk one to one to that customer. I wouldn't buy one. If it was cheaper, I'd still spend more for corn fed.

Cows rumen is a wonderful thing. But emotion has to rule in this one. It's just a gut reaction. I fed what I eat at home. Away from home, I try not to think about it.

That gut reaction is what would do it for me, let me tell ya'... :shock:

Alice

john250":2fki5sqt said:
rk":2fki5sqt said:

You can still feed ruminent protiens to chickens. If you then feed the litter to cattle you are in fact feeding ruminent byproducts to cattle which would otherwise be prohibited.

Latest posts