How can I ruin a disel engine.

Help Support CattleToday:

Fella here was having trouble with some thefts around his place and put up several of these things. Ended up catching a thug stealing his bird dog. Turned out the thug was his neighbor down the road who just so happened to work for the FBI. Pictures don't lie. Unbelievably, the POS actually lost his job.

There is a program called Digi-Watcher that I use with a usb type camera ,in this case preferably a good one with infra-red for night. First set it all up at home . Now assuming you can run a computer at the tank site , ie have power , then the program will detect movement and record for 30secs then if still movement it will keep on recording.

You can mask off parts that might set it off ,like a waving flag , and increase or decrease sensitivity. The files are stored on disk and you come in and play them back

I set mine up with a usb type mobile modem for $15 per month . 1Gig down and upload is more than enough. The program will also broadcast to the web and you can view it from anywhere. Mine is down right now with an electrical storm cutting off my power and I may be a week before its fixed , however try this web site from time to time as it will come up there when I get to it. PM me or post here if you are serious and want more info ,but I'm reasonably busy so only if you really want to set it up . I used an old windows computer $20 ,program free , usb modem$15pm ,camera $50(good one hidden in a sensor light ) and I bought aan LED spotlight for $40. Plus a fair bit of mucking round

The usb modem uses a dynamic IP, different each time it connects, so to make it static I use a dynamic dns site (free) .
http://tytower.dyndns.org

allischalmers1984":ef6b4bak said:
we just switched the lables on our fuel barrells. Put the gas on diesel and diesel on the gas. didnt take long to catch who put gas in there diesel truck. they didnt make it very far.
As soon as the truck runs out of diesel and tries to run on gas it dies.....nothing to ignite the gas.

TexasBred":3e8d1kka said:
allischalmers1984":3e8d1kka said:
we just switched the lables on our fuel barrells. Put the gas on diesel and diesel on the gas. didnt take long to catch who put gas in there diesel truck. they didnt make it very far.
As soon as the truck runs out of diesel and tries to run on gas it dies.....nothing to ignite the gas.

Umm not quite right I think . The compression in a diesel motor is up to 20 to 1
A petrol motor is more like 8 to 1
Gas will explode on compression but is unpredictable and may well fire before it reaches full compression which means the motor fires backwards.

Now I have never experienced this so if any posters really know for sure what happened and in what vehicle I would very much like to hear of it.

tytower":1wnah3b2 said:
TexasBred":1wnah3b2 said:
allischalmers1984":1wnah3b2 said:

Umm not quite right I think . The compression in a diesel motor is up to 20 to 1
A petrol motor is more like 8 to 1
Gas will explode on compression but is unpredictable and may well fire before it reaches full compression which means the motor fires backwards.

Now I have never experienced this so if any posters really know for sure what happened and in what vehicle I would very much like to hear of it.
Ty...I can assure you that I lack about 99.9% being being a diesel expert or knowing anythinga about them other than filling up the fuel tank.....And I based waht I said on a personal experience of "forgetting how fill the fuel tank with diesel"....low fuel light was already on...had a brain fart (which happens often) and filled it up with gasoline....I made it about 8 miles doing great and all of sudden, it felt like someone rear ended me, every light on the dash came on and it was dead...coasted to a stop on the side of the road and it would not even try to crank....motor was not firing forward, backward or sideways....long story short after dropping the tank, draining it and refilling it with diesel all was well....

TexasBred":1xi2xrj5 said:
filled it up with gasoline....I made it about 8 miles doing great and all of sudden, it felt like someone rear ended me, every light on the dash came on and it was dead...coasted to a stop on the side of the road and it would not even try to crank....motor was not firing forward, backward or sideways....long story short after dropping the tank, draining it and refilling it with diesel all was well....

Amazing -suppose some diesel was mixed in with gas and there would have been diesel in the pipes, pump, filters and injectors until washed out -

Apparently JUST enough to get me about 8 miles...(half gallon??). Anyway, no harm done except more than a little bit embarassed.

TexasBred":2lz3403x said:
Apparently JUST enough to get me about 8 miles...(half gallon??). Anyway, no harm done except more than a little bit embarassed.
I would say the thing that saved you was your tank was empty when you put the gas in if you had say a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank and the diesel and gas had mixed then you would of at the least burnt the injectors up and more than likely ruined the engine by scoring the cylinders or blowing holes in the pistons from to much heat

Angus Cowman":hphqu07a said:
TexasBred":hphqu07a said:
I would say the thing that saved you was your tank was empty when you put the gas in if you had say a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank and the diesel and gas had mixed then you would of at the least burnt the injectors up and more than likely ruined the engine by scoring the cylinders or blowing holes in the pistons from to much heat
Very possible. Guess running one down to dang near dry has it's good points too. :dunce:

Gas will completly destory a diesel. The diesel is a lubricated fuel unlike gas. The motor will lock up and that will be the end of it. Unless you have well over a half a tank of diesel. You can mix alittle gas in with and be ok.

allischalmers1984":2yl7q9gj said:
Gas will completly destory a diesel. The diesel is a lubricated fuel unlike gas. The motor will lock up and that will be the end of it. Unless you have well over a half a tank of diesel. You can mix alittle gas in with and be ok.
Hmmm that's interesting. I wonder what the motor oil is for than? The only thing that is lubricated by the fuel is the injection pump and injectors. Running gas can damage either or both of those components. Locking up a motor is highly unlikely.

Novaman you are some what correct. The gasoline will cause damage to the injection pump due to lack of lubricity. If mixed with diesel will cause higher combustion temperatures and can cause valve damage, piston scoring and heating problems with the engine. If run for too long an engine will fail, especially if pulling heavy loads due to the higher temperature. Straight gasoline in a diesel engine will not run for long if it can be started and will be permanently damaged. The diesel adds lubrication to the cylinders. If you dont believe it fill up with gas and drive your truck

novaman":501k7wz7 said:
allischalmers1984":501k7wz7 said:
Hmmm that's interesting. I wonder what the motor oil is for than? The only thing that is lubricated by the fuel is the injection pump and injectors. Running gas can damage either or both of those components. Locking up a motor is highly unlikely.
I will agree with Allis diesel does have (did have before low sulfur fuel)lubricating properties and gas just like either can and will score the cylinders because of increased heat and lack of lubrication

Latest posts