How can banding cause tetanus???

Help Support CattleToday:

Tetanus lives in the ground, banding will eventually open a channel into the body as it cuts off the blood supply to the scrotal sac and causes it to fall away from the body, the scrotal sac has a high probability of coming into contact with the ground simply because of it's location.

You had to ask that question. Tetanus is also known as lock-jaw. If I remember correctly, high fever, an inability to open the mouth, maybe a stiffness due to muscle soreness, but not sure on that. Have you done a google search for tetanus?

Tetanus has a very classic set of symptoms. The inner eye lid is slow to open initially when the calf blinks. The animal progresses to a saw horse
type gate. All 4 legs become stiffer as the disease progresses. If you are at the saw horse stage , save your treatment money. They eventually suffocate .

msscamp":2kuone6x said:
Thank you, Ollie. :oops: I used to know that stuff, but it's been a number of years and we've never had a case (Thank you Lord!).
I have had a case. Since then I make sure everything banded gets a tetanus vaccination at banding. I only learn lessons by being stupid. I am trying to convince my kids (with some success so far) that a smart person learns as much from others mistakes as they do their own.

ollie'":3vfupuna said:
msscamp":3vfupuna said:
Thank you, Ollie. :oops: I used to know that stuff, but it's been a number of years and we've never had a case (Thank you Lord!).
I have had a case. Since then I make sure everything banded gets a tetanus vaccination at banding. I only learn lessons by being stupid. I am trying to convince my kids (with some success so far) that a smart person learns as much from others mistakes as they do their own.

I'm sorry. That's true of a lot of us, unfortunately, and all I can do is what I can do. Sounds like you're an excellent Dad, and you're absolutely right on that one!

i band them the day their born and never had tetanus in the last 30 years. i cant see how u can get tetanus from banding not likely.

i band them the day their born and never had tetanus in the last 30 years. i cant see how u can get tetanus from banding not likely.
I've been banding at birth as well.
Never had an issue here either. Only been doing it a few years tho.

I get that it's an 18yr old thread. But now I'm wondering about a calf I had went from healthy to not able to stand in the rear. Rear legs were stiff and could only get on all 4 if assisted. He DID develop that problem after banding at a later age. There's a thread somewhere about him. Friends I gave him to, ate him after feeding him a while. And assisting him in standing for MONTHS

I've been banding at birth as well.
Never had an issue here either. Only been doing it a few years tho.

I get that it's an 18yr old thread. But now I'm wondering about a calf I had went from healthy to not able to stand in the rear. Rear legs were stiff and could only get on all 4 if assisted. He DID develop that problem after banding at a later age. There's a thread somewhere about him. Friends I gave him to, ate him after feeding him a while. And assisting him in standing for MONTHS
sounds like hip displacement to me but what do i know im just an old man.

Latest posts