How Best to Manage 3 Week Old Calf and 6 Month Old Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl85

Reaction score
I'm very new to cattle, and recently acquired a newborn heifer calf that had to be raised by bottle. I'm currently raising her on a bottle, and have started her on 8oz of calf starter per day. I just purchased a 2nd heifer calf (6 months old) to put with her in the pasture in a few days once she's weaned. I'm not sure how to manage the grain rations for the 2 calves. Do I keep feeding calf starter to both calves for another 6 months until the youngest can come off? I don't want to cause an issue for the older heifer calf by feeding only calf starter.

Also is it best to keep the 2 calves separated in stalls for the first few days before letting them go out together in the pasture? My 3 week old calf did not get any colostrum so it's been a constant battle with her, but we are getting over the worst I think. I just know her immune system is weak right now.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

You will have to separate them to feed them. The big calf will push the little one around and take all the grain. The big calf probably won't have much to do with the little one until it grows up and can follow it around. The big calf does not need to be fed if she is on decent pasture. She probably needs a companion her age.

What do you plan to do with the big heifer? She is of the age to sell, not to buy unless you plan on raising her her to be a cow.

Latest posts