How bad is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
One of my cows has been limping. The vet trimmed her feet and he said at the time that her limp was not in her feet but higher up. I think I have found it:
1. Above the hock
2. Front surface of the leg
3. In the pic, you can see a slight swell half way between the flank and the bottom of her udder.

I can feel what I believe is a soft tissue strain or pull. When I press it in my hand she flinches. This cow is extremely docile. You could sit right here where she stands and milk her.

What do you think about what further if anything I need to do? And what characteristics can I expect from a soft tissue injury in this area? This is a very nice cow about 4 years old.
4qqulv.jpg

The way they kick and butt one another you would think that there's nothing to it. Hopefully she gets better. No milking pictures?

Yeh it looks like she may have worn a kick there Ron. Not a lot of padding over the bone there. May be a bit of haemorrhage under the periosteom of the bone. They can be very sore and take a while to disperse.
I often go close to copping one on my leg as I carry the buckets of cottonseed to the feed troughs. The yearling heifers are real bitches especially and frequently a kick goes whistling very close to my leg.
Ken

I am having real good luck with aspirin on my aged cows with non hoof limps-- it would be cheap to try if she is loosing condition. If shes not going down hill I would leave her alone.

Latest posts