How are Brangus shown?

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I have a question for all the show folks..appreciate any answers.

When showing a Brangus heifer in an "allbreed" county 4-h show..how are they shown? are they clipped, like Angus, or are they "blow and go"??

I would assume you would clip the heifer just like any other heifer you would be showing. Follow the 4-H rules. Our fair does not allow clipping on fairgrounds, must be done at home. So clip head,follow the halter line, straighten out topline, clean up brisket and belly area. If nothing else she will look clean and worked with vs a unclipped cow.

I would check with the 4-H Extension agent about clipping and the show about the rules.

Our daughter showed a Beefmaster heifer last fall. Our agent told her to clip just like Roan said. A friend's son showed a Brangus and he did the same.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Take Pics!

I don't know much about how shows are down there, but I would think if it's a hair show, you'd clip/fit like everyone else. If it's a slick show, then you still clip like everyone else but probably wouldn't have to fit as much.

Thanks everyone..was just curious..they dont seem to have the "hair" alot of the european breeds do at the livestock shows around here..and was curious if it was the way they were suppossed to be shown..or just that they dont grow hair well?

Probably right..they've never done real well at the stock shows (county 4-h) around here, but that is primarily what we raise in our commercial herd...thought about seeing if my son wanted to take his heifer's calf from this year and plan to show it at the 4-h county show a year from now..I want him to do well, but understand that a heavily influenced brangus steer/heifer may not cut the mustard against the herfs, shorthorns and limis..ah well, its about fun and LEARNING..:)

I live in Texas and Brangus are very popular here where i live. i spray floom bloom in the hair and blow it forward. clip their hair to medium length. floom bloom will give them fluff. hair needs to be trained to go forward but during the summer they need to have short hair.

Latest posts