How about some odd and funny town names

Help Support CattleToday:

Bristol...has a Suspension bridge over the river Severn built by Isambard Kingdon Brunel, here in the UK. A curious phenomenon associated with the lower reaches of the Severn is the tidal phenomenon known as the Severn Bore . The river's estuary , part of the Bristol Channel , has the second largest tidal range in the world which is approximately 15 metres , exceeded only (couple of feet) by the Bay of Fundy in Canada - and at certain combinations of the tides, the rising water is funneled up the estuary into a wave that travels rapidly upstream against the river current

The bore travels a distance of approximately 25 miles between Awre and Gloucester.

Severn Bore enthusiasts even attempt to surf along on the bore wave, which can be 2 m high. Being the onset of the flood tide it is accompanied by a rapid rise in water level which continues for about one and a half hours after the Severn Bore has passed.

Bristol, TN has a race track. One of the best in the country! People try to drive around it and it last for hours.

Upper Peach Tree, AL.
Lower Peach Tree, AL.
Smuteye, AL.
Spoon Handle, AL.
Burnt Meeting House, AL.
Paint Rock, AL.
The Dismals, AL.
The Colony, AL.

dun":20bexpx8 said:
Bristol, TN has a race track. One of the best in the country! People try to drive around it and it last for hours.

And they have a farm equipment auction within sight of the track! We stopped there on our honeymoon. The sale, not the track.

cfpinz

He!!, Michigan. Have driven through it a number of times. Telephone and Turkey TX. And let's not forget Carl's Corners, TX.

Bear Butte, ID - juvenile I know, but when we visit the in-laws I laugh everytime I see the sign

What Cheer, IA - Was a settlement of Welsh coal miners and the common Welsh greeting was "What Cheer?", kind of like we say "how's it going?" so the town got to be called What Cheer

circlet":1v14rpju said:
Bear Butte, ID - juvenile I know, but when we visit the in-laws I laugh everytime I see the sign

What Cheer, IA - Was a settlement of Welsh coal miners and the common Welsh greeting was "What Cheer?", kind of like we say "how's it going?" so the town got to be called What Cheer

This reminds me of the story about a place that used to be called Tobar, NV. Supposedly there was a bar that was built off the main traveled road and the owner put up a sign that had to bar and an arrow.
Makes a good folklore type story anyway

Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico. Had a Speech Professor that grew up there.

Edit: Sorry Dun. You beat me to it! Someone beat me to Hell. Mich, too. I done been beat to Hell! :shock: :lol:

Lammie":w7l46drk said:
I done been beat to be nice! :shock: :lol:

Head on over to Whiskey Flats and buy yourself some cure :lol: It is funny how the residents of that town have been calling it "Wheatland" for nearly 20 years now but no one else calls it that.

I just thought of another one,

Odebolt, IA

My grandmother was born there and the legend is that a Swedish family was traveling through the little un-named settlement and their wagon tongue broke, and the man driving exclaimed "Oh, de bolt!" and someone heard him and the name stuck. I can't vouch for the validity of the story, just what Grandma always told me. :)

backhoeboogie":irsuf9bd said:
Lammie":irsuf9bd said:
I done been beat to be nice! :shock: :lol:

Head on over to Whiskey Flats and buy yourself some cure :lol: It is funny how the residents of that town have been calling it "Wheatland" for nearly 20 years now but no one else calls it that.

It has always been Wheatland, but back in the day, it was the only place to get your alcyhol in three counties, and Whiskey Flats is conveniently located at the convergance of Hood, Johnson and Parker Counties where it was legal, since it is the tip of Tarrant County. That was where you had to get beer and everything if you lived in Granbury, and my brother spent a lot of time there if he wasn't at the ole Galvenized Palace in Glen Rose. I don't get through there much anymore, but the last tiem i did, I saw an obvious topless dancer, at least topless, in a robe, going from a TTbar to the liquor store. Guess she was thirsty.

Is the Galvenized Palace still there? I bet old timers still remember "Turkey", as my brother was known. I still run into someone who remembers him from time to time. They don't like it much when I tell them he drank hisself to death. That Wild Turkey whiskey will do it to you every time. Especially over 20 years.

Dwarf, KY
Pigeon Roost, KY
Cow Creek, KY
Calf Creek, KY
Bull Creek, KY
Bagdad, KY
Hazard, KY
Hi Hat, KY

The list goes on (and on... and on... and on...), but here's my personal favorite...

Big Bone Lick State Park, which happens to be located between Beaverlick and Rabbit Hash.

Incidentally, the mayor of Rabbit Hash is a black labrador retriever named Junior. He's only the second dog ever to be elected mayor of the town.

Look it all up if you don't believe me. :)

cmjust0":1v66p3cc said:
Incidentally, the mayor of Rabbit Hash is a black labrador retriever named Junior. He's only the second dog ever to be elected mayor of the town.
:)

The rumor mill says the Lab is considering a run for the Ky legislature, and has an early lead in the polls.

Couldn't be any worse than what we've got in Frankfort now..

Thought of another funny town name -- Effingham, Illinois. The syndicated morning radio program "The Bob & Tom Show" has a little skit centered around a phony restaurant in Effingham, complete with customer testimonials about how the "effing breakfast" is "effing great" and so forth.. :lol:

Bucksnort, TN
Whitefish, MT
Ajo, AZ
Skull Valley, AZ
Claypool, AZ

Anyone ever heard of Lincoln, AZ....first wife's grandfather was born on a ranch near there. Won't find it on a map...its under Lake Roosevelt.
Dmc

Latest posts