HOT

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I text a few members pics of my ticket where I sold one cow that had an go to town and lose her mind episode and the barnyard writes hot on those tickets which in turn they put in a special pen so buyers know which ones are a lil crazy causes the seller to loose pretty good on the animal. Does anyone elses barn do this? It was blackstone market not Lynchburg.

TCRanch said:
How'd she do? And no, our sale barn quickly runs 'em through the ring. Amazingly, someone always buys them ;-)

:lol: I will get the check tomorrow probably and let you know. I looked at sale report can be .38 lb to .60lb probably .38

Our local market will just say, "watch her" as she comes in the ring and they will send her right out the door and tell the guys in the alleys to "watch her". Same with bulls that tend to be aggressive; in and out the door....Sometimes they will run a wild one in the door with another, and designate which one they are selling... often run a bull in with a cull cow if he is being stupid.

never seen them mark them ''hot'' at the sales I go to. I have seen them so mean that they drove/pushed them it to the ring with a skid loader. If they are killer cows meanness never seams to hurt the price these big sales has buyers there that could care less if they are mean. I have seen a lot of times they will say ''get a look as she comes through'' and they will never let them stop in the ring but even then the kill buyers don't seem the care. Now cattle going back to the farm that's a different story.

kenny thomas said:
Been to lots of sales but never seen a cow marked hot. Hogs yes. Sounds like you need to pass that market by next time.

For sure I hate selling at Blackstone but only had her to sell and it's 45 mins away vs 2 hours to Lynchburg

BRYANT said:
never seen them mark them ''hot'' at the sales I go to. I have seen them so mean that they drove/pushed them it to the ring with a skid loader. If they are killer cows meanness never seams to hurt the price these big sales has buyers there that could care less if they are mean. I have seen a lot of times they will say ''get a look as she comes through'' and they will never let them stop in the ring but even then the kill buyers don't seem the care. Now cattle going back to the farm that's a different story.

Same here.

Sat at the sale Friday and steer prices have taken a $.20 jump or more. Most smaller steers, 350 to 500 were in the $1.50 to $1.65 and some nice ones hit $1.78. 2 weeks ago they were in the $1.30 to $1.50, $1.60 if they were REAL nice. Heifers till in the $1.10 to $1.35. Bigger steers were less than small compared to a month ago when they were running .10 to .30 MORE than the small stuff. Think people are starting to get "grass fever" since we had a week of sun and temps a little better. Longer days also gets people thinking spring.

kenny thomas said:
Been to lots of sales but never seen a cow marked hot. Hogs yes. Sounds like you need to pass that market by next time.

"Hot" pigs are fun pigs, especially if you are the receiver of said pigs. :banana:

Barn writes 'Heads Up' on slip for those working in the back. That's all. Kill buyers could care less how much a hot head a cow is, she is dead within 48 hours in most cases. And if a person is dumb enough to buy something like that to calve out, they deserve what they get.

Neighbor likes to buy hot breds at kill prices. Some are just mismanaged. For the majority - - he hides in a metal cage attached to his skid steer while cutting the new calves.

Reminds me of James Herriot's farmer client, after James had been kicked in the chest by a dairy cow.

In between great laughing tears, the farmer said "I forgot to tell you, that one always likes to shake hands!"

Stocker Steve said:
Neighbor likes to buy hot breds at kill prices. Some are just mismanaged. For the majority - - he hides in a metal cage attached to his skid steer while cutting the new calves.

This guy sounds like fun.

Saw a bull's weigh ticket marked buyer's risk recently on a bull the farm guy said was mean.Don't know if the yard put that on themselves or if that was his request.
I sent one in a few years ago that had turned mean.I told the sale owner he was coming and was rank.He said they didn't have any real problem except a little in the ring.
I worked in a market one winter and only saw a couple cows that made us afraid.They were not bad when in with other cows.

JW IN VA said:
Saw a bull's weigh ticket marked buyer's risk recently on a bull the farm guy said was mean.Don't know if the yard put that on themselves or if that was his request.
I sent one in a few years ago that had turned mean.I told the sale owner he was coming and was rank.He said they didn't have any real problem except a little in the ring.
I worked in a market one winter and only saw a couple cows that made us afraid.They were not bad when in with other cows.

We sold a bull to a large operation that knew he was hot. As in, I told the Ranch Mgr he was on his way to the Sale Barn because he tried to take out my husband. Didn't matter, they liked his EPD's, he was only 3 & they do all their work on horseback & with dogs. They still have him. Better them than me! I can only imagine the public shaming if I had taken him to the Sale but no trich testing so he would have been a cull.

I sent a mean old SH bull to the sale.. people working the yard there still remember him.. 2600 lbs of anger.. was fun just getting him into the trailer! His replacement was our Gelbvieh and he wasn't social, but he was totally cool headed.. His sons are cool too. Kept one son from the SH and he was rank at 2 years old so we ate him.

That was half the fun when I was younger hauling them bad cows to the auction. We would be piled on back the truck like kids at xmas waiting for them to open the gate. The guys at the barn would always act like... we do this all the time... then out the pen they would go one by one. :lol:

Latest posts