horses hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

She doesn't seem to hold that hoof up anytime else just when you feed her.

Wish that you had said this in the beginning (if you did, I'm sorry I missed it.)

You don't need to worry about her. A lot of horses do that when eating. Some hold a foot up, some hold it up and wave it around. Some hold it up and paw.

It is a behavior that can be really annoying. A mare will teach it to her foal. It doesn't mean that the horse has something wrong with the hoof.

I've owned horses in the past that do that.

Front hooves mostly grow alot more than the hinds so that does not mean much. You probably don't actually have a problem if you are riding and not noticing any lamness. You can tell if a horse is foundered by when you trim the horse look at the white line and see if it is stretched, if it is not then the horse has not foundered.

cowlady1":2qb63rl3 said:
I didn't mean to set off an up roar I just thought I'd ask about this horse to see what you all might think.

You didn't, so don't worry about it. :)

I've been watching her close lately.She doesn't seem to hold that hoof up anytime else just when you feed her.

As chippie said, I wish you'd mentioned this at the beginning. Given that she only does it when she is being fed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow msscamp I didn't realize you were an encyclopedia of horse knowledge!
ANYWAY, most of my horses cock their feet when eating and we used to have a mare and all of her babies would paw when eating. Just them, kinda odd, but don't worry!

Latest posts