Horses for Dog Food?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this like a trick question, or something?

Cripes, beats heck out of them being put down and left to rot, but then, what do I know? I'm just one of those hobby farm pet lovers and the biggest danger to all livestock farmers that ever existed.

Alice

Herefordcross":3985texq said:
What are your thoughts on putting horses down that are over the hill and need to be put down and then feeding them to our dogs?

I don't see anything wrong with it, and we've done it with a couple of horses that had injuries too severe to save or were just too far past prime to be of use. I guess I'm a little confused here, because I'm not sure what else one would do with this type of horse? Considering the costs that would be incurred to feed them until they die of natural causes, it's just not practical or economical for most people. Another factor is that, depending on the causes/circumstances, I also feel it is not fair to the horse. It is also a little impractical to bury them, considering their size, predators digging them up, and all - plus a number of states have laws against this particular practice. Perhaps I'm not understanding where you're coming from with this question?

Well it seems from what I read that alot of people expect them to live on this "imagenairy" horse preserve forever. Here you have to call someone to pickup any kind of animal that's dead best not get caught burying one, the place that picks 'em up here charges $50 for cattle and $200 for horses since the price went up because they say they wel, I won't say what they do with the horses but, I always thought they went into dog food.

Herefordcross":1rpntkf0 said:
Well it seems from what I read that alot of people expect them to live on this "imagenairy" horse preserve forever. Here you have to call someone to pickup any kind of animal that's dead best not get caught burying one, the place that picks 'em up here charges $50 for cattle and $200 for horses since the price went up because they say they wel, I won't say what they do with the horses but, I always thought they went into dog food.

They don't send them to glue factories? I was always told they went to glue factories.

About 6 years ago I read a classified ad in the newspaper of the town I worked in at the county extension office. Someone had an exotic animal farm and would actually pay for dead, well almost dead, livestock. They'd even come pick the dying livestock up...in fact they preferred to pick the dying livestock up.

Maybe there's one of those exotic animal farms close by where you live. Not my particular cup of tea, but what the hey...to each his own...is that allowed here...is "to each his own" allowed here?

Alice

Herefordcross":27r2xajz said:
Well it seems from what I read that alot of people expect them to live on this "imagenairy" horse preserve forever.

I know, but a lot of people tend to not have a lot of common sense, either - at least from what I've seen and read.

Here you have to call someone to pickup any kind of animal that's dead best not get caught burying one, the place that picks 'em up here charges $50 for cattle and $200 for horses since the price went up because they say they wel, I won't say what they do with the horses but, I always thought they went into dog food.

The place we call is Platte Valley Pet Food, and that's how it works here, too, but both cattle and horses are somewhere around 25.00, I think. They usually pick them up the same day we call, sometimes the next day. According to the limited research I've done on the subject (I got curious one day when a boarders horse suffered an injury and had to be put down, and googled it on the 'net), whether a dead animal goes for dog food or not depends on how long the animal has been dead, and how advanced decomposition is. A relatively new death becomes pet food, otherwise I don't honestly know what happens to them.

Alice":256pt3zd said:
Herefordcross":256pt3zd said:

About 6 years ago I read a classified ad in the newspaper of the town I worked in at the county extension office. Someone had an exotic animal farm and would actually pay for dead, well almost dead, livestock. They'd even come pick the dying livestock up...in fact they preferred to pick the dying livestock up.

:shock: What on earth were they raising? Lions, Tigers, or something along those lines?

...is "to each his own" allowed here?

Yep! :lol: I can put an animal out of its misery, but I cannot imagine having to feed a live animal to another animal. :shock: I know, I know -I'm a wimp, and I'm not a bit ashamed to admit it, either! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alice

msscamp":2kbis1ga said:
Alice":2kbis1ga said:
Herefordcross":2kbis1ga said:

:shock: What on earth were they raising? Lions, Tigers, or something along those lines?

Yep! :lol: I can put an animal out of its misery, but I cannot imagine having to feed a live animal to another animal. :shock: I know, I know -I'm a wimp, and I'm not a bit ashamed to admit it, either! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alice

I would send my dying horse to be food for other animals but they would have to put it down humanely and not feed it to them while still alive.

Chris

ffscj":3cx4i8p5 said:
msscamp":3cx4i8p5 said:
Alice":3cx4i8p5 said:
Herefordcross":3cx4i8p5 said:

Alice

I would send my dying horse to be food for other animals but they would have to put it down humanely and not feed it to them while still alive.

Chris

I would not have a problem doing that, either, so long as the animal was put down BEFORE feeding. I was referring to me having to feed a live animal to another animal - mice to snakes, for example - that I cannot and will not do!

msscamp":2xaqckaf said:
Alice":2xaqckaf said:
Herefordcross":2xaqckaf said:

Alice

Thank you, msscamp... :)

The county agent put his secretaries on it...me being one of them...and we were told nothing by the people that placed the ad. In fact, after only a little bit of questioning on "our" part, we were hung up on. So, we could only draw our own conclusions...that being, lions and tigers...and anything else that had to kill before they ate...oh my! :shock:

Hope they were able to keep their quota of live kill...'cause I'd hate to be someone that lived
close by. :(

Alice

I, personally, see nothing wrong with it. There is a place around here that picks them up, Valley Protein. They'll take cows too.

God forbid horse slaughter is banned in this country. As it is there are too many of them left to fend for themselves in a not-so-nice "life".

I also, personally, see nothing wrong with those folks who wish to keep old dobbin til his last dying days. As Alice said, "to each his own".

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":i2ogcl4s said:
God forbid horse slaughter is banned in this country. As it is there are too many of them left to fend for themselves in a not-so-nice "life".

I also, personally, see nothing wrong with those folks who wish to keep old dobbin til his last dying days. As Alice said, "to each his own".

Katherine

I completely agree - on all points!

When I was growing up on my uncle's farm years ago, there was a mink farm near by that would take dead cows and horses for the meat. Don't know if they paid or not, but they would come and pick them up.

msscamp":253qgpxc said:
Workinonit Farm":253qgpxc said:

Katherine

I completely agree - on all points!

As do I...thanks Msscamp and Katherine :)

Alice

Hippie Rancher":o1x9i2o8 said:
I drag dead stuff up on a hill where the scavangers can find them and the minerals can recycle.

We used to do that with the cattle when we had the ranch, but it is just not practical here - too little land, and too close to town. We've always called the dead animal pick-up for horses, though, unless they died too far from the house and the renderer refused to get them.

msscamp":1zbdngqv said:
Hippie Rancher":1zbdngqv said:
I drag dead stuff up on a hill where the scavangers can find them and the minerals can recycle.

We used to do that with the cattle when we had the ranch, but it is just not practical here - too little land, and too close to town. We've always called the dead animal pick-up for horses, though, unless they died too far from the house and the renderer refused to get them.

We've done that when the dead truck driver deemed the deal animal too far gone. The downside to that...we found that when the coyotes ran out of their smorgasboard, they began lurking closer to the houses and the other babies....kind of a catch 22 situation.

Alice

Alice":1rmod2rn said:
msscamp":1rmod2rn said:
Hippie Rancher":1rmod2rn said:

We've done that when the dead truck driver deemed the deal animal too far gone. The downside to that...we found that when the coyotes ran out of their smorgasboard, they began lurking closer to the houses and the other babies....kind of a catch 22 situation.

Alice

That is another reason we don't do it here - not much of a coyote problem so far - no reason to attract the mangy critters! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: We had a hugh coyote problem on the ranch from day one, plus no more animals than we lost (except the year crypto struck, and the year we learned about moldy sweet clover), it didn't seem to make much difference one way or the other.

PS You're welcome, although I'm not sure what for. :? :lol: :lol:

I don't have much of a problem with real coyotes - dogs running sometimes, but the coyotes don't seem to do any harm - of course I have horned cattle that need to know how to take care of themselves. Once in a while I get a coyote in that gets after my chickens, those get a bullet.

Latest posts