horses and pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I came home yesterday to discover that my 3 little piglets had gotten out and were dead. At first I thought it was the dogs and was bout ready to pass around a dose of lead poisioning until picking them up to dispose of them it looked like major cuts in them instead of teeth gashes like from a dog. It looked like they had been pawed. Last saturday the pigs had gotten out and after the horses overcame first fear of them they ran them back into the barn so I know they were very aggressive about the pigs. I didn't know there was such aggression from horses to pigs. Anyone have thoughts on this?

my wife always talks about a stud her dad had on their ranch in Nebraska, he was very aggressive and territorial and she remembers seeing this stud "watch joe starlite" reach over a fence and grab a calf by the back of its neck then shake and stomp it to death. i don't think aggressive behavior is limited to studs though, it could have been any one of your horses. its too bad, sorry to hear it.

Some horse just flat do not like small animals. It doesn't matter if it is a cat, dog, goat or pig. They will stomp it to death. It is the nature of the beast. We had a mare that would stomp a goat or calf in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry about your pigs.

I have a 3YO gelding that chases anything that comes in his field. Cows, dogs, birds, anything that moves. He puts those ears back and goes after them with a vengeance.

rc":uiq33tz9 said:
I came home yesterday to discover that my 3 little piglets had gotten out and were dead. At first I thought it was the dogs and was bout ready to pass around a dose of lead poisioning until picking them up to dispose of them it looked like major cuts in them instead of teeth gashes like from a dog. It looked like they had been pawed. Last saturday the pigs had gotten out and after the horses overcame first fear of them they ran them back into the barn so I know they were very aggressive about the pigs. I didn't know there was such aggression from horses to pigs. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Horses can be very aggressive with any type of animal, it just depends on the horse. I let my goats into the alleyways a month or two ago to eat the weeds, and they proceded to show me every place they could sneak under the guardrail fence - all of which led into neighboring horse pens. I had quite a little rodeo going on for a while! The horses were chasing the goats, and the goats were escaping into other horses pens. Some of them were very aggressive, and some were not. I finally got all of the goats out of the horse pens, into neutral territory, and I fixed the spots they could get under before turning them into the alleyways again. We've even had a boarded horse or two who would go after a cat! It just depends on the horse.

I'd bet it was the horses. One of my pigs got out and went into the neighbors pasture and after the horses' initial shock they started attacking the pig. This was a 280# butcher hog too!

Latest posts