Horses and DIRT!?!?

Help Support CattleToday:

houston_brama

Reaction score
Okay, I'm really new to horses. I am in Iraq serving with the 101st right now. The wife and just bought our first house and we (I) will be getting us (I) a horse when I get home. Now, I don't want to have 6 acres of dirt, not only will that be ugly but my wife would kill me or make me sleep in the barn with the horse. So what do I do? Feed him hay and oat all year long or just suck it up and let him kill the grass????

While you're over in Iraq, jumping out of airplanes, try to find a way to get some horse-keeping books to read.
Cherry Hill has several that are very good for beginning horse-ownership. Her website is:

http://www.horsekeeping.com/

Where is the property? You also need to check your zoning to see how many hooved animals you are allowed per acre, etc.

But, if you have 6 acres, your best solution is to fence the entire thing (perimeter fence) for safety, then fence some smaller sections so that you can rotate pastures. And, horses are herd animals and prefer having buddies.

Feeding hay all year around is a good thing to do... sometimes different grasses can cause illnesses in horses - depends on the kind and time of year, age of horse, breed of horse, etc, as to how they are effected. Some grasses are not good for pregnant mares.

So far as oats... they are an okay feed, high in phosphorous, so they may have to be balanced with other supplements depending on what kind of hay and what kind of grass is in the pasture. There are many pelleted feeds available that are good and offer a variety to target young horses, pregnant mares, old horses and just plain dumb horses. : )

Some people will have a barn or run-in shelter with a "dry lot"... a small area where there is no grass, and then turn the horse out on grass pasture overnight, or for short periods of time, etc.

There are many ways to manage pasture and feed horses. I'm sure you'll hear from many others. GOOD Luck and keep safe.

houston_brama":c0ou7rsc said:
Okay, I'm really new to horses. I am in Iraq serving with the 101st right now. The wife and just bought our first house and we (I) will be getting us (I) a horse when I get home. Now, I don't want to have 6 acres of dirt, not only will that be ugly but my wife would kill me or make me sleep in the barn with the horse. So what do I do? Feed him hay and oat all year long or just suck it up and let him kill the grass????

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, with the rainfall you generally get in Tennessee, it's unlikely that 1 horse will trample/eat the grass and turn 6 acres into a dirt lot - but I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, sure won't be the last. 2 horses might depending on their energy level and how much time they spend running around and chasing each other. I'm also going to state my belief that, depending on how much exercise and riding these horses get, I would be very, very careful of what I fed them. My personal belief and experience is that a horse does not need anything other than a salt block (preferably a mineralized one), grass, or a good quality grass hay if no pasture is available, and lots of clean water unless there are special mitigating circumstances such as him/her being a performance horse, being worked/rode very hard, an older horse that has special nutrition requirements, or an older horse whose teeth makes it impossible for him/her to eat the standard fare. There are a lot of people who will argue with me, but all grain and special feeds do is make for a hotter horse and increase their energy level - a lot of times to the point that you've got an unruly, uncontrollable horse on your hands that shies, bucks, takes off with their rider, etc. Just my thoughts.

PS Because you have stated that you are new to horses and because this thread is about housing horses and possible feed scenarios, I will add this - NEVER feed a horse moldy or dusty hay, it will cause more problems than you could ever imagine!

So what would be a good hay or grass to plant on the acreage and when you say don't feed him dusty hay, are you saying I should not store my hay in the barn and just buy it fresh?

houston_brama":3q8q78zz said:
So what would be a good hay or grass to plant on the acreage and when you say don't feed him dusty hay, are you saying I should not store my hay in the barn and just buy it fresh?

Timothy, orchard, bermuda, wheatgrass, coastal (I'm sure there are others) - any of these would make good horse hay, but I don't know if they will grow in your area because I'm not familiar with the growing conditions in your area. You're best bet on what to plant would be to check with your county extension office - they can tell you what would grow well and do what you want it to do. Dusty hay is generally a result of improper baling - ask around and get recommendations from other horse people that you trust. Don't buy a large quantity from someone you have never bought from before. Hay has to be protected from the elements - either in a barn or tarped - if it gets rained on or snowed on it will mold and lose quality relatively quickly. It generally is not feasible to buy hay 'fresh' as the demand is too high and it may not be available when you need it. Figure out what you will need for a year. If I've done my math correctly - always questionable as my brain simply does not do math - 2-1 1/2" - 2" flakes/2 times a day (again depending on the exercise/usage these horses get and whether they are easy keepers or hard keepers) X 2 horses will roughly equal 1 65-70 pound bale/day (give or take a little) = 1 ton of hay every 28-30 days depending on what the bale weighs, buy it as you can and store it in your barn. Just in case you didn't already know it, horses are not cheap! Good luck and I wish you the best with your horse/horses!

I have 4 horses on 6 acres up front behind the house. Never had any problems. I do clip and fertilize regularly, though. I think if you take care of your pasture, 6 acres will be more than enough to hold one horse, without harming the grass (it will actually help the grass). Now if you were in west Texas you might have a problem. But in Tennessee, I think your biggest problem will be how and when to clip the 6 acre pasture, because one horse is not going to each that much.

cypressfarms":13qac93c said:
I have 4 horses on 6 acres up front behind the house. Never had any problems. I do clip and fertilize regularly, though. I think if you take care of your pasture, 6 acres will be more than enough to hold one horse, without harming the grass (it will actually help the grass). Now if you were in west Texas you might have a problem. But in Tennessee, I think your biggest problem will be how and when to clip the 6 acre pasture, because one horse is not going to each that much.

Thanks, Cypress, I cannot for the life of me remember what the acreage was in the horse pasture on the ranch. :oops:

Thanks for all the great information. I just ordered a couple of books from the Cherry Hill website.
This forum is absolutely awesome. It contains so much valuable information. The best place I have found.
Thanks again for all the suppory. :D

houston_brama":3ro2smkv said:
Thanks for all the great information. I just ordered a couple of books from the Cherry Hill website.
This forum is absolutely awesome. It contains so much valuable information. The best place I have found.
Thanks again for all the suppory. :D

You got some great advice, my hats off to you... stay safe and from this American citizen... thanks so much for your service and sacrifice! :clap: :clap:

Alan

Houston_Brama, I would also like to add my thanks for the service you are doing for me, as well as each and every person in our country. Thank you, and please come home safe and sound! :)

Well thank you Msscamp and all. It's a nasty job but someone has to do it. I only have about 3 months to go. It has afforded me time to research, learn and plan. It's been really tough to find us a house. Total night mare actually. But, we found it when I was on leave. The wife has to close and move in while I'm away. Army Wife------Toughest job n the Army!
:)

O.k. Houston,

When you make it back from doing your honorable job, I expect to see some pics of that horse up here!!!! :lol:

cypress

houston_brama":3amyrobm said:
The wife has to close and move in while I'm away. Army Wife------Toughest job n the Army!
:)

Yeah, it is. It takes a special kind of woman to be a military wife. Congratulations on your house! :)

Let us know when you start looking for a horse, lot's of good opinions on this board with many quirks different breeds and crosses have that aren't mentioned in a lot of books.... most would love to help and discuss different view points.

Take care,
Alan

Arabians would be a nice addition, especially since there is such a long history of the breed which originated from where you are now.

Someone's gonna catch on to me and start calling me the Springer Farm's of Arabians.

cypressfarms":271cu14b said:
Arabians would be a nice addition, especially since there is such a long history of the breed which originated from where you are now.

Someone's gonna catch on to me and start calling me the Springer Farm's of Arabians.

If you like those Iraqi horses well I guess...LOL, but you can always get the good old bred in the U.S.A. full blooded American Quarter Horse. Just joking around I like Arabs most are just too small for me. Like I said lots of opinions and thoughts to learn from and debate.

Oh yea, buy American (QH)

Alan

Alan":3rqmeh1h said:
cypressfarms":3rqmeh1h said:

If you like those Iraqi horses well I guess...LOL, but you can always get the good old bred in the U.S.A. full blooded American Quarter Horse. Just joking around I like Arabs most are just too small for me. Like I said lots of opinions and thoughts to learn from and debate.

Oh yea, buy American (QH)

Alan

Alan, No disrepect, but how big are you? I don't like small arabians either; the line I breed are normally 16 hands, or close to it, and have the head, neck, and tail carriage of the classic arabian. My two year old filly has her first open show coming in three weeks and she's over 15 hands already (at 2 years). She towers over most other 2 year olds in the breed, and many other breeds as well.

Crypress no disrespect taken, I was just kidding around after the picture post.

I used to have 15.2 pure Polish stallion.... nice horse (many years ago). I've seen some big Russians. But now I mainly see Egyptians, and Crabets the smaller type, 14+ hands but rarely 15. Sounds like you have got some nice Arabs, what type are they?

To answer your question I'm 6'4" and about 260, I ride a 15.3 1300lb 4 yr old QH gelding.

BTW, I deal with 4H a bit and the know a girl who was 2 time State champion Pole bender, 3rd in barrels and 3rd in Key Hole. She rode an amazing looking 15+ hand 3/4 Arab 1/4 QH cross... what a beautiful athletic animal.

Alan

Alan":2yaj8jv3 said:
Crypress no disrespect taken, I was just kidding around after the picture post.

I used to have 15.2 pure Polish stallion.... nice horse (many years ago). I've seen some big Russians. But now I mainly see Egyptians, and Crabets the smaller type, 14+ hands but rarely 15. Sounds like you have got some nice Arabs, what type are they?

To answer your question I'm 6'4" and about 260, I ride a 15.3 1300lb 4 yr old QH gelding.

BTW, I deal with 4H a bit and the know a girl who was 2 time State champion Pole bender, 3rd in barrels and 3rd in Key Hole. She rode an amazing looking 15+ hand 3/4 Arab 1/4 QH cross... what a beautiful athletic animal.

Alan

Alan,

As much as I like Arabians, I have to say that an arabian crossed with another breed almost always results in an outstanding horse.

My Arabs are about 80% Egyptian, 20% Spanish. Dahman strain. I have some really good blood (Ansata Ibn Halima and many others). I'm real picky when breeding. I like big Arabians, but with a dished head and small ears, with a long neck, powerful body, and high tail carriage. I see too many Arabs that are "dainty" looking. I definitely don't do dainty. I breed for a specific look, and that isn't it. The larger size mainly comes from the Spanish lines (Destinado, etc.), and the refinement from the Egyptian.

Latest posts