Horses and a Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

fkassim

Reaction score
Hi...I just bought my first calf...an 8 month old friesan and am wondering if its ok to keep her with my horses ? All my horses are stabled in individual stables and the calf also has her own stall. Can they be kept close to each other or does that pose a risk of some contagious disease or so (ringworm, rain scold, etc.) I heard cattle are prone to ringworm infections ! Can I have the calf use the same paddock as the horses ? Obviously not at the same time ;-) I have been raising and breeding horses for quite a while but am completely clueless when it comes to cattle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

:D Hi! I too have horses and calves. I am currently keeping
a yearling heifer with the pony. They are together in the same
paddock. I just separated them as I am feeding the heifer special developer feed ( she is one of 3 show heifers) and the
feed is NOT for horses. :shock: The way you are doing it is fine. Horse and cattle diseases - lice, ect are not interchangable. The only thing I ever had problems with were
warbles, which came from the cattle and did burrow under the
horses skin. This was one incident 25 years ago. The show heifer stands tied in the aisle way with the horses, gets washed with the horses, brushed with the horses, ect.
:lol: She has also been buddies with my llama. :heart:

Thanks for the feedback Holly Heffer...I'm glad it seems all will be fine after your reply. How do you avoid the incident you had 25 years ago ? Any special precautions I should take ? Thanks again.