Horse slaughter issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My wife told me this morning she had a read an article in the paper about horses being abandoned at the auction yards because no one is buying the slaughter type horses. It seems that it becoming a problem for auction yards. This is all due to recent laws passed on forbidding horse slaughter in the U.S. THe problem seems to be mostly OK and TX right now. I will admit I did not see the article, but I certainly see this being a real problem quickly. It could snowball into all kinds of things, abandoned horses all over, neglected horses, an impact on the sale of horses and the horse market.

Just found it interesting and a bit upsetting, what have they done?

Alan

Between this and the National Animal I.D. and Premis I.d. they are trying to shove down our throat there will be more of this and I wouldn't be surprized if some won't be turned out on some back roads and left to wander.Then when they are hit on the road and kill some body whos fault will that be.I'm dern sure it wont be our alustrus law makers who are looking out for us poor stupid ranchers and farmers since we cant seem to be able to take care of our anemals with out Government asssissstance,See I aint smart nuff tho spll.It will just get worse.Call and email your reps in your area and tell them to get it straightened out or they will be looking for a new job next election.All these are a real threat to our way of life and our freedoms.Go to http://www.farmandranchfreedom.org and read up on it.

An article today at AOL News

http://tinyurl.com/2mufor

I received this information from our County Extension Office last month about NAIS

Quote:
As of December 2006 the USDA effectively and quietly knocked the National Animal Identification System in the head. It release the new "NAIS User Guide", which emphasizes that the NAIS is a voluntary program rather than a stepping stone to a mandatory one. According to the user guide, "USDS is not requiring participation in the program. NAIS can help producer protect the health and marketability of the animals - but the choice to participate is theirs."

At a conference in Kansas City in November 2006, USDA Deputy Secretary, Chuck Conner, explained,"Since we've had some confusion on this, we need to be as clear as we can be. This is 'voluntary' with a capital V. Not a currently voluntary, then maybe a mandatory system. This is a permanently voluntary system at the federal level."

So at this point with this administration, it seems the National Animal Identification System is over.

That is not true ask the farmers in Michican this last year who received their notice they were on the list AGAINST their wishes and without their knowledge they were put on the Premis I.D. without their permission.How did it happen the Mic.Dep.of Ag. put them on to get their numbers up so they could get the money from USDA.Why is Tx and Ok now still fighting it.The reason is it is not dead.Couple of weeks ago There was a rally in Austin Tx.AGAINST NAIS.Sid Miller from Stephenville,Tx I have known Sid and His brother Dusty for a while I posted about a No NAIS meeting threweeks ago in OK. Sid emailed me and said.Listen this was only THREE WEEKS ago.Sid is the Chairman of the Texas Dep.of AG.He had authored a bill and would see to it it pased to stop NAIS in Texas for good.Sid ropes calves and his brother does they raise some nice roping horses.Last Mon.in Ok There was a rally at the cap.in OKC to stop it in Ok.for good.The backers of it are not going to let it die.It is all about the money like I said go to www,farmandranchfreedom.org and see for your self.Ky.Tn.Fl.Mic.you ought to hear what people are having to put up withthere now.Oh in Ok.now some co's.FFA and 4H if you want to show your animals it is REQUIRED your place be I.D.doesnt look voluntary to me.

I gess maby Sid Miller don't know what he is talking about either since he is a Sen.from Stephenville and the CHAIRMAN OF THE TEXAS AG. COMMITTEE.It can be changed at ANY time by the USDA.And in Ok.Rep.Wallace Collins has been trying to get H.B.1842 heard in the house that will kill NAIS in Ok for good same as Sid.But Don Armes who is chairman of Ok.ag committee, is from Lawton area and has cattle and was adamatly against it in the beginning has some how changed his tune and run backwards.Lance Cargill Speaker of house has done all he can do to stall it out as well.And I have been involved in Ok.and have friends in Tx.That are STILL fighting to get it stopped for good.It is vol.only as long as the usda lets it be,Like I said,Mon.in Ok.rally at cap.against and last week in Tx.at cap.against must be a lot of real confussed people in both states.The Exension office is paid by the dep.of ag.remember that.And have FED.rules to go by.Just check out for your self.www.farmandfreedom.org They have a toll free number.Judith will give you the rundown.And I am from Tx.Ft.Worth,H.School,Brownwood,Tarleton State.Look on ebarrelracing.com and read Pam Cantwells post.See how they read.

Gee whillikers, you don't have to yell or be rude about it.
I am sorry that I even mentioned the information given to me.

:oops:

The reason I did it like I did was to me you were not listening I had some pretty knowledgable people on my post.And you said my extension agent who gets his information from the usda said oh,its vol.And The ones on mine said no its not and Sid is a Sen.and chair of ag comm. in Tx.So I kinda figuted he does know what he is talking about and you didn't look up the site I mentioned.And in a way I took it as you were telling me I have no idea what I am talking about.That has a way of irritating people.Check out on wwwbarrelhorseworld.com about Ky.and the flood in the state of unwanted horses the slaughter bill has caused.Its on the forum in two places.I have no reason to make what I posted, it would serve no usefull purpose to do so.Sorry if I offended you.

Alan":3b64qafq said:
My wife told me this morning she had a read an article in the paper about horses being abandoned at the auction yards because no one is buying the slaughter type horses. It seems that it becoming a problem for auction yards. This is all due to recent laws passed on forbidding horse slaughter in the U.S. THe problem seems to be mostly OK and TX right now. I will admit I did not see the article, but I certainly see this being a real problem quickly. It could snowball into all kinds of things, abandoned horses all over, neglected horses, an impact on the sale of horses and the horse market.

Just found it interesting and a bit upsetting, what have they done?

Alan

If this is happening on any kind of scale its funny how Fox and CNN have missed it. You would think they and the other maistream media would be all over it blowing it out of proportune. Headlines like starving horses in Texas would get peoples attention.
I guess there is a feed shortage in the Texas area right now. That with the slaghter ban I would guess would cause some idiots to abandone there horses. With any kind of luck they will by a quad the next time.

most people are still un aware of this situation. its still early yet. most sale barns around have stopped taking ALL equine. you may not be seeing it on the News but you will be seeing the effects first hand before long. when you start seeing it live with your own eyes then you will start seeing it on the News. Yeah it was a GREAT MOVE. :roll:

there is an interesting article re: this issue on the aqha website along with direct links to email your senators and congressmen about S311 - the bill to ban slaughter of horses for human consumption - I guess I didn't realize it has was so vague and could have implications for transporting horses anywhere for any purpose - check it out it's interesting. Personally I don't want to eat a horse - but I don't really care if someone else does - I know people who don't eat beef too but that doesn't stop me! I think the possibility for neglect and abandonment is huge if there is not an economical outlet for these horses. we all know - nobody sends a perfectly good horse to the canner sale. I've had a few that I threatened with that end though!

Bill S.311 has the potential to prevent you from being able to haul your animal to compete, to rodeo, to breed, to sell at a sale or privately, to cross statelines and so on as it currently reads as it can be interpretted by those who would benefit or feel "rightous" in preventing rodeo competitors, barrel racers, 4-H competitors, breeders, sellers, from doing what they enjoy doing for sport or employment. It opens the equine world up to being told who, what, when and where you can do what you can do with your horses. What everyone also needs to realize is that this is NOT going to stop with horses...it is going to progress to every meat food source out there, sport, showing, ect.

Here is a copy of one of the e-mails I received on this subject today...now, they aren't just telling you that you can't slaughter a horse for any reason, it is set up so that it is possible that anyone can LEGALLY tell you that you can't do what you love....and they would have the standing to prosecute you for it....do you haul your barrel horse to arena's to compete?

"I just wanted to bring you up to date on a bill that makes me
sick to my stomach to think about and how it could cripple the
horse industry in America. This is S.311 pertaining to the
banning slaughter. I have copied and pasted the update from the
Library of Congress website below.
>
>S.311
>Title: A bill to amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit
the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving,
possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horses and
other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption, and for
other purposes.
>Sponsor: Sen Landrieu, Mary L. [LA] (introduced
1/17/2007) Cosponsors (25)
>Related Bills: H.R.503
>Latest Major Action: 4/25/2007 Senate committee/subcommittee
actions. Status: Committee on Commerce, Science, and
Transportation. Ordered to be reported without amendment
favorably.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
>
>ALL ACTIONS:
> 1/17/2007:
> Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce,
Science, and Transportation.
> 4/25/2007:
> Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.
Ordered to be reported without amendment favorably.
>For those of you not in the know on this bill, here are some
concerns I have (although I could get really nasty about this,
I will try to contain myself):
>
>1. Though this bill is to ban the slaughter of horses in the
US for any purpose, it does not have any provision or intention
of a provision for what to do with unwanted horses. Although
there is a suggested appropriation of $5,000,000, nothing has
been suggested as to how to put this money into action - and we
all know how much of that money will be actually go to the
horses. Also - this bill only makes this provision one time,
not $5 million a year, just 5 million total. This bill will
effect approximately 90,000 horses each year - in three years
that is 270,000 horses and in 10 years, this number of unwanted
horses will grow to over 900,000 horses, not to mention the
number that will be reproduced within this group which would
have otherwise not been allowed to do so. None of us want our
performance horses, trail horses or back yard pets to be
slaughtered; but the fact is, not all horses are functional.
What are we to do with horses that are dangerous, injured or
born crippled. I just had a colt born a few weeks ago who is
blind as a bat...what use is anyone going to have for him. I
will give him to anyone who wants him.
>
>2. If you interpret this bill as read, with the current
punctuation, it reads that the bill is to prohibit the
shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving,
possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horses for
slughter, or any other purposes. Read the exact bill statement
above. Because of the comma, the "or any other purposes" is a
phrase attached to the subject of the sentence...no shipping,
transporting, etc. What would that mean? No buying or selling,
no trailering your horses to pasture, no rodeos, shows or trail
riding in the badlands (or anywhere else where you transport
them to). Although I don't believe they intended it to read
that way - they intended to ban slaughter for any purpose (no
glue, zoo meat, dog food, etc) - it does read that way.
>
>3) Another piece of the bill that is not included in the
statement is a clause (see http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-
bin/query/z?c110:S.311: for full text), in section e that
says: "The secretary may detain for examination, testing, or
the taking of evidence A) any horse at any horse show, horse
exhibition, or horse sale or auction that is sore or that the
Secretary has probably cause to believe is sore: and B) any
horse or other equine that the secretary has probably cause to
believe is being shipped...in violation of section 5(8)"; but
it doesn't say what 5(8) is. So assuming they allow you to
trailer your horse to a show, if it gets hurt there, you may be
subject to investigation...for what? abuse, neglect? I am not
sure what they are exactly getting at there, but it scares me.
Those of us who show and rodeo or use our horses for any other
purpose are highly concerned with the condition of our animals.
>
>The slaughter market provides the basis for the value of all
horses. Without it, and with too many horses on the market, it
devalues all horses. Many of you would not consider eating
horse meat. I happen to have that kind of aversion to eating
tomatoes. But I don't expect the governement to tell all of you
that you can't eat them, just becuase I find it disgusting. It
floors me that we would allow this to happen in the U.S. I have
many more concerns about this bill, but will not continue
to "beat the (proverbial) dead horse".
>
>Yesterday the senate committee ordered this bill to be
reported without amendment favorably. Please contact your
legislators immediately and ask them to oppose this bill."

Just found this posting.
When this all started (again) I called the sponsers of this bill to protest it. I was informed that because I was not a constiant of theirs my opinon did not matter. They sure didn't like it when I told them that because I am an American and a taxpayer they did have to listen to my opinon. Nice to be hung up on.
These people do not look at the broad picture and are being pushed by animal rights groups. I have seen in the local paper here of a couple of horses being "found" wandering around. It is just going to get worse. Watch your pastures you may find a "new" horse in them.

Latest posts