Horse Racing

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl Ibara

Reaction score
Hello, I am seeking some help. I'm writing an argumentative essay considering horse racing. The topic specifically is; should horse racing be continued so freely. There are many who demand it be banded or changed for the welfare of the horses that are "forced" to participate in such races. I've been searching the net and have found every excuse in the book why horse racing is an evil thing which should be done away with. Most of the credit can go to PETA for that. But I'm trying to find the pros to horse racing specifically. If anyone can help me by maybe sending a link my way or some facts I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

Wow that is a tough one. Possible resources are the American Association of Equine Practitioners http://www.aaep.org/, the American Quarter Horse Association http://www.aqha.com, and the Jockey Club http://www.jockeyclub.com/ . Get phone numbers and talk to people. Are there any race tracks where you live? If so go talk to trainers.

One thing to take into consideration is that it is bred into a race horse to run. They run because they love it. You can't really force one to win. The competitive spirit is within. It can't be man-made.

Did you choose your subject or was it assigned to you?

Good luck.

cowgirl,

i don't know how old you are, but welcome to the harsh reality of today's over-politicized world. you're learning that the truth - the REAL truth doesn't have much say in alot of today's debates. i wish i could offer you up some specific help with this current assignment, but i don't have any pertinent facts to help you out.

what i can tell you is that you seem to know the truth of this subject, racing horses is no more cruel than watching humans race, and if a horse is successful, it generally lives out its retired days in quite a bit of luxury. sure, there will always be examples of inhumane treatment, but these horses are big money investments, most owners will pamper them beyond belief. you might also focus on researching organizations that take care of retired race horses, to demonstrate that these animals aren't just used and cast aside.

don't be discouraged by some of the mis-information you're finding, anymore, common sense isn't so common, so don't be afraid of being right and doing right. stick to the truth as you know it, don't allow people like PETA and other groups who want to control what you think mis-inform you into thinking that you don't know what's right or wrong anymore! good luck with your report, i'll do some digging and if i find some concrete facts for you, i'll let you know.

chippie-

I was given the opportunity to choose my topic so I decided to think outside of the box. Even since the incident with the Kentucky Derby winner, Barbaro, I've noticed a larger controversy whether horse racing is humane or not. Since there is such a broad spectrum on this topic, i decided it could provide me with enough information to write my 7 page essay. Thank you so much for the links they where so helpful!! :D

circlet-

Thank you for the encouraging words ^_^. It was a little discouraging at first due to all of the exaggerations animal activist groups where pouring out. I was lucky enough to take an equine science class 2 years ago that taught me enough to see what was truth and fiction. Thank you for the great idea, I'm going to check out the retirement race horse program you where talking about. Google is my new best friend! Oh and I'm 17, just a side tidbit. Thanks again. :)

R.N Reed-

Thank you so much for the link!! ^_^

I was around horse racing for five or six years. My in laws were into it for twenty or more before a divorce prompted them out of it. No peta idot will ever convince me that a race horse is force to race. I still have a retired race horse and at twenty two years old, he still enjoys running. For a few years after his retirement from racing professionaly, he would still get excited about being around a track. You could just see him shaking and prancing wanting to go. I believe it is the same as human athletes. Its in their blood.

Latest posts