horse question

Help Support CattleToday:

rngr

Reaction score
Being a rookie horse owner I have a rather rookie question. Are Arabs more "flighty" for lack of a better term than other breeds? By flighty I mean jumpy or maybe shy of things.

What would the best breed for a rookie to have or does it really come down to the individual horse?

rngr":2wcr0evi said:
Being a rookie horse owner I have a rather rookie question. Are Arabs more "flighty" for lack of a better term than other breeds? By flighty I mean jumpy or maybe shy of things.

What would the best breed for a rookie to have or does it really come down to the individual horse?

Arabs, as a rule, tend to be quite a bit more temperamental than other breeds, I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner - but there are exceptions for every rule. As a beginner you would want to look for a dead-broke, well-trained, older (that can vary from horse to horse, but generally speaking nothing under about 8-10 years old), reliable horse. I would suggest Quarter Horse, Morgan, or Paint. While any horse can be on the temperamental side, it is my understanding that Appy's, as a whole, tend to fit in this category. That is simply heresay, however (and could very well be wrong), as I have no personal experience with them.

I have two Arabs and one 1/2 Arab now. I grew up with walking horses and then was away from horses for quite a few years so i am basically starting all over again. The two arabs are older mares and the 1/2 is 10. I was just comparing them to the walking horses that we had and they just seem to be a bit more "sensitive" to things than the walking horses were and they seem to definately have big personalities that change from day to day especially the 1/2 Arab. Although all 3 are very nice horses I was just wondering if Arabs were a bit more of how you described them then others being that I have not been around any other horses besides Walking horses.

rngr":1fdjx433 said:
I have two Arabs and one 1/2 Arab now. I grew up with walking horses and then was away from horses for quite a few years so i am basically starting all over again. The two arabs are older mares and the 1/2 is 10. I was just comparing them to the walking horses that we had and they just seem to be a bit more "sensitive" to things than the walking horses were and they seem to definately have big personalities that change from day to day especially the 1/2 Arab. Although all 3 are very nice horses I was just wondering if Arabs were a bit more of how you described them then others being that I have not been around any other horses besides Walking horses.

The local farrier works out of our horse barn several days a week. He has many Arab 'clients' and he makes darned sure that there aren't a lot of people around when he works on those horses. They have a tendency to be quite a bit more sensitive to noise levels, people, moods, etc., and it takes a whole lot less to set them off. There is also the fact that, overall, mares in general are quite a bit less predictable than geldings due to hormonal changes, etc.

Thats my horses EXACTLY to a tee! One day it was real windy 40-50 mph winds and my farrier was scheduled that day. When he got there I told him we would need to reschedule because that wind was absolutely driving them insane! I have also noticed that if a strange person is in the barn they stand off some for a little bit as well, even the 1/2 arab. They are a funny bunch though. One mare is alot less sensitive to things around her. For example I can drive the tractor right up to her and she will just stand there until I get off and make her move. However, when its that time of month for her she is moody as can be. The other mare is not moody during her time of the month but is more "aware" of things around her. The 1/2 arab which is a gelding hates the tractor (but likes to watch geese fly over) and will run as soon as it starts, which gets one of the mares (which is a total follower and suck up) running with him while the other mare stands there and makes me physically get off the tractor to get her to move out of the way! Of the three the mare which does not mind the tractor is by far the most "down to earth" one of the 3. However she has a thing for road signs. Flinches at them every time and will go out and around them.

I board 2 arabs...the mare is in her teens but still pretty flighty. The gelding behaves exactly like my two stock horses. Not overly sensitive but notices things too. My dressage lesson horse is also an Arab,and by far one of the most incredible horses I've ever met. He rarely spooks, and is trained to Level 2 dressage.

msscamp":149r4tyb said:
rngr":149r4tyb said:

Arabs, as a rule, tend to be quite a bit more temperamental than other breeds, I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner - but there are exceptions for every rule. As a beginner you would want to look for a dead-broke, well-trained, older (that can vary from horse to horse, but generally speaking nothing under about 8-10 years old), reliable horse. I would suggest Quarter Horse, Morgan, or Paint. While any horse can be on the temperamental side, it is my understanding that Appy's, as a whole, tend to fit in this category. That is simply heresay, however (and could very well be wrong), as I have no personal experience with them.

There are expections to every rule when it comes to horse breeds and thier tempermants. Arabs as a rule are "hotter" horse will spook easier than your cooler breds (Quarter horses, paints, ect.). As stated already mares are more tempermental than geldings. Get yourself a good Quarter Horse and enjoy yourself, but make sure the Quarter Horse doesn't have too much Thoroughbred in it, some Quarter Horses can be mostly Thoroughbred... please don't let me get started on that subject.

Good luck and you have some good advice here already.
Alan

:lol: There are the exceptions to every breed, I have a haflinger that is a joy to work with on the ground and he wins
alot of halter classes, but try to ride him and he will be fine
for awhile, then all of a sudden he bolts and bucks. :mad:
I also had a Crabbit arab and she wa s so gentle that any child
could ride her( she has since passed on) , Also had an arab that was a she devil! :shock: For consistant niceness- I vote
for the appaloosa. Have had many over the years and never had one that was a rogue! :cboy:

Alan "Get yourself a good Quarter Horse and enjoy yourself, "

Amen allan!! I like you more all the time!! LOL
I had an arab once..good ride...little silly tho

I work with an arab and it is the sweetest horse I know. he is a brillant ride and very calm though he is very aware of whats going on around him. he is very inteligent but the problem is that he is so NOSY and it gets him in lots of trouble with me when im working with him cause he don't pay attention if there is something more fun around. though to be far he is quit young. he has got a lovely attitude and i love him to bits.

I cut my teeth on Arabs, and didn't even start working other breeds until '91 or so. They're "thinkers" and are usually one step ahead of their riders on that front. They're also extremely sensitive in that it only takes a fraction of the pressure or que that you would give a cooler horse to get them to do what you want. A lot of times, they just look for an excuse to blow off some steam and play too. Had one 'ol cowboy say once that an Arab will do anything as long as you make it like a game for them......

For as long as I've been in the Arab business, I can honestly say that I've come across more cooler Arabs than hot ones. However, I've mostly worked with Polish Arabs as opposed to the Egyptians, which are notoriously hot. That being said, 18 months ago I buried the best horse I have ever been on, owned, or been owned by, and he was a purebred, registered Khemosabi (domestic) bred gelding. I always said he was a lousy Arab, but a great horse, and I'd give my eye teeth to have him back again. He was pretty calm as a 4 yr old, and only got better with age so that by the time he died, there wasn't much of anything that would ruffle his feathers. He had too much common sense for that, and after all, spooking required entirely too much energy in his mind. He did anything and everything I set him to from training racehorse yearlings to pony and gallup in company, to pushing cows, which was hillarious as he had NO inbred cow sense whatsoever. However, once he figured out "the game", he would take over and do it himself. Alls I would do is point him in the right direction, and turn him lose. He was a babysitter deluxe, and to give an example of just how smart they are, he knew the difference between a child, an inexperienced rider, a rider who THOUGHT they knew something, and one who actually did. Point being that he wasn't really all that unique. I don't have enough fingers on my hands to count the Arabs I've come across that were more like him than not.

I could go on and on about the breed, and not in defense of it either. They just take a different mind set when working with and around than most other breeds do. They absolutely WILL reflect your handling and your mindset, so be calm, cool, slow, and have a light touch with your hands, and have a quick mind. More often than not, they're 3 steps ahead of you. :lol:

TR one of mine is a polish and she is the the calmer one the other is a straight egyptian and alot more aware of her surroundings. Both very nice horses but totally different personalties. The Egyptian is more "typical" Arab looking and is a beautiful horse. You sound like a recording, I have heard the EXACT thing from other arab owners and far there personalities and such.

rngr":3nl2m4gp said:
You sound like a recording, I have heard the EXACT thing from other arab owners and far there personalities and such.

lol! I'm in good company then! Its just been my experience and observations through the years. I must admit, I have a very soft spot in my heart for Arabs, although I've since moved on to color breeds (easier to market in this area). Arabs seem to be more people oriented (as a rule) than other breeds I've been around, meaning, sometimes they just like to hang out with you or be around while you're working in the barn, and not because there might be food involved with your presence either. More like companions than just horses......

rngr":3nl2m4gp said:
TR one of mine is a polish and she is the the calmer one the other is a straight egyptian and alot more aware of her surroundings. Both very nice horses but totally different personalties. The Egyptian is more "typical" Arab looking and is a beautiful horse.

Boy rngr, I gotta say, the few Egyptians that came in for what ever reason were definitely hotter than the Polish, and definitely more typey. No matter how calm you were with them, they still had that potential for FIRE. Guess that was what made them stand out to the judges in the show ring. They just had that extra pizzaz that the Polish sometimes lacked. That being said, I'm not too partial to the Egyptians. Maybe its because of all the years I spent with the Polish. I just seem to have more of an affinity for them, and I like the softness of their features as opposed to the firey look of the Egyptions. Probably because I know what that firey look can mean! :lol:

Enjoy them. The Bedouins treasured them as they did their children, and I figure if a people believe they're that special for thousands of years, then there might just be some truth to it.

I have an App/Arab and he is everthing all of you described. Nosey, people oriented, playful, into everything, a bit challenging, even skidish at times, and very very smart. But even though I will let my kids ride him he is not a beginners horse.

For a rookie horse owner I would suggest a horse (what ever breed you choose) no younger than 8. Preferably a ranch horse or one with a lot of miles.

IMO, The reason why most Arabs have gotten a bad rep is that they are smarter than their owners.:cboy:

bootsie":2n3v3049 said:
IMO, The reason why most Arabs have gotten a bad rep is that they are smarter than their owners.:cboy:

I'm not going to argue with you on that point! I guess that's the biggest reason I don't have one.....I already have 3 dogs that are smarter than I am, why do I need a horse that's smarter than I am too? :lol: :lol: I wouldn't stand a chance if the 4 of them decided to hook up!! :shock:

bootsie":31840o4c said:

Haven't met too many Arabs I care for. Some of the reason is I'm 6'3 and 250lbs. But had a Polish Stud years ago that was pretty good, smart and demanded respect. With respect we got along pretty well. But also leased and Egyptian mare to breed to him, she got banged up a little in the trailer because she was so high strung (stupid). Got her out out he trailer and she laid right down and coliced on the spot, would not get up for anything, and she wasn't hurt that bad. A shot of rompun and a week to heal and had the owner come get her out of the barn. But I have been around alot of Arabs and all I can say is I love those Quarter Horses.

And just to stir the pot a little, Appys are pretty close to Arabs in my book, Stubborn and can be pretty mean. But in all breeds there are exceptions.

Have not stirred the pot in a while, so hopefully we can keep it nice.

JMO
Alan

Alan, I'm sure not going to argue with you. I'm not smart enough or experienced enough to even begin to think I could ever possibly handle an Arab or an Appy - even though it's been a life long dream to own a solid black Appy with just a blanket over his hips. That being said, I'll stick to gelding Quarter Horses or Morgans. Too old to handle the mood swings in mares either. I'm at that stage of life where I like predictability! ;-)

msscamp":6f7yqrwa said:
Alan, I'm sure not going to argue with you. I'm not smart enough or experienced enough to even begin to think I could ever possibly handle an Arab or an Appy - even though it's been a life long dream to own a solid black Appy with just a blanket over his hips. That being said, I'll stick to gelding Quarter Horses or Morgans. Too old to handle the mood swings in mares either. I'm at that stage of life where I like predictability! ;-)

Amen to that!

Alan":3vh8s5df said:
Have not stirred the pot in a while, so hopefully we can keep it nice.

JMO
Alan

lol! If I had a nickle for every time someone said that to me, I'd be in that brand new Billy Cook right now! :) Ya cain't live in Texas and not have thick skin when it comes to riding an Arab along side cowboys on their QH's. Gotta say though, that little bay Arab of mine did manage to open a few quarter horse minds and raise a few eyebrows.

Like I said, it takes a different mindset when working with Arabs. To be honest, I've been away from the Arab business for so long, I'm not even sure I could keep up with them at my age! (or even want to!) The "mare" thing is the only thing that's making me hesitant about keeping and breaking that Grulla filly of mine too. Sure would be nice to just be able to get up and go, and not worry about moods, or having a training session every time you strap on a pair of spurs. Got about another 4 years before 'ol Paint settles down into that older age, mellow, "been there, seen that" attitude too. Oh, and Alan? He's a QH/TB cross! (YUCK!) Won't ever be doing THAT again!

msscamp":mwxgndnp said:
even though it's been a life long dream to own a solid black Appy with just a blanket over his hips.

msscamp one like this? I've wanted one like him since I was a kid. But he is the perfect example why not to buy a horse for color.

101_0187.jpg

Sorry such a bad picture. Only picture I have on the computer right now.
Beleive me this guy has pushed my buttons. Every other week I say I'm selling him and buying a QH then he does good and I say I'll give him another week. In fact, I'm looking at a IF AQHA mare which used to be a turn back horse and does the games. I'll ride that one when I'm felling old and ride the appy when I'm feeling lucky. :lol:

Latest posts