Horse prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Two or 3 years ago I heard someone say that the price was about 20 cents a pound. You'd probably be better off ( and more humane) donating your animal to a rescue organization and getting a receipt for a tax write-off.

mhoback":1wuwlswj said:
Does anyone have an idea of what the killer price for horses is?

Do you mean sending it to the sale yard? Around here you get up to $300 for butcher horses... dog food.

But you can usally sell or give away a horse for 300 or less pretty easy around here.

Alan

The killler market is a thing of the past (for now). Can't remember the bill that was passed but basically it cut the funding for USDA to inspect the horse meat that is shipped overseas for consumption. In effect it made the kill market go away. Can't ship them to Mexico either.

Next year there is a bill to be brought up that will permanently make the kill market no longer.

Good thing or bad thing? Depends on who you are and what your selling.

For older horses or ones that nobody wants it may be an inhumane thing because I can see alot of owners putting the horse out to pasture and letting it survive on its own basically. If it gets sick nature will run its course. I can see alot of horses living a very horrible life unfortunately.

rngr":3pyfftnh said:
The killler market is a thing of the past (for now).

There are actually 2 killer markets where horses are concerned; 1 for human consumption and 1 for pet food/rendering. Yes, the market for human consumption has been cut down dramatically, but the market for pet food/rendering is still very much alive and well by all accounts. I believe this particular poster was refering to market 2 - pet food/rendering.

I thought the rendering market took already deceased horses only though.

There is NO overseas or out of country shipment of horse meat for human consumption. If USDA doesn't inspect it then it does not get eaten or shipped for human consumption.

rngr":1vppvk10 said:
I thought the rendering market took already deceased horses only though.

That would be an incorrect thought. Crippled horses, old horses, horses that are no longer able to perform are sold for killer on a pretty much daily basis up here. Maybe it's different in some parts of the country.

Learn something new everyday! They very well may do the same here and I am unaware of it.

1000 lbs. and above were running about .22 apound. It is really just a cripple market now. Hopefully those chowder heads in washington will some how get straightened back out.

hope your right tumbleweeed but liberals are tryin to take over our busines more ever day..they dont carethat not being able to kill horses for food means there just going to die in a pasture somewhere. I wish all those liberals had a place of there own for us to send old horses to die if they care about em so much :mad:

I understand your point of view but to be honest if i could take the older horses i would. even if you can't ride the horse i like having them about. But then I 'm to soft by half, especialy for some one that is paid to train horses. I've never even had to put a horse down and I hope to god that I never have to send a horse to be killedf. Just my pêrsonal feelings. like I said to soft by half.

aztumbleweed":155cn8bm said:
1000 lbs. and above were running about .22 apound. It is really just a cripple market now. Hopefully those chowder heads in washington will some how get straightened back out.

Maybe where you are, but that is not true here.

tapeworm":1f6jdifx said:
hope your right tumbleweeed but liberals are tryin to take over our busines more ever day..they dont carethat not being able to kill horses for food means there just going to die in a pasture somewhere. I wish all those liberals had a place of there own for us to send old horses to die if they care about em so much :mad:

You're so right! Every year you hear about somebody trying to do good and help the unwanted horse. They end up with 82 of the on a 4 acre pasture with no feed and no money. Ends up 16 found dead, 8 more had to be destroyed and the rest are looking for donations to rescue the horse that got rescued. :mad:

Alan

Latest posts