horse in training

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
sent a horse away to a young girl to be trained.SHE taught him to lunge ect. but he was a little to jittery for her to ride seems to scare easily anything he sees on his side ----So I tied ribbons on his halter let him out in the pasture so they could fly in the wind ---What do you think ---should this calm him down?

Carlos D.":3pzz9jrz said:
----So I tied ribbons on his halter let him out in the pasture so they could fly in the wind ---What do you think ---should this calm him down?

Well, I sure hope you have a SAFE pasture :shock: . I have done the same thing, but only in the round pen, where I could watch them closely. It should help, but there are no guarantees. I have an 8 year old gelding that was the same way, and to this day, he is still jumpy about anything moving on his back. I have to be cautious about waving and such, but he isn't bothered by a slicker or anything.

Carlos D.":1b5snkte said:
So I tied ribbons on his halter let him out in the pasture so they could fly in the wind ---What do you think ---should this calm him down?

It might, but then again it might also cause him to panic and get hurt or worse. I never turn a horse out to pasture with a halter on - to many things can happen, plus it can make it easier for someone to steal him (depending on where you are located) - much less anything tied to the halter.

I too think it would have been better in the roundpen. Tying a tarp to the saddle is another thing to try. Good luck.

Latest posts