Horse hay

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I hate horse people.. these jerks worried the hadies out of me cause they needed hay I told them I don't feel like going out to the barn they kept begging said they are bringing a trailer to get hay and they will load it.. I said well ok figured they would give me more Christmas $$ so ok.. how about these jackasses bought 3 square bales.. :bang: :mad:

If you didn't have to chase them to get your $7.50 then you should consider yourself lucky. My would-be customers are the reason I'm not in the hay business.

That's the reason I sold my square baler this summer. At times there was money to be made in horse squares but I got tired of dealing with the customers. The unfounded complaints of mold or whatever, chasing down the money, oddball deliverys, oddball pickups, tire kickers, etc.

I quit selling to them, "my horse just won't eat anything but pure sprayed and fertilized bermudagrass", don't feed thatsob for a week and he'll eat a pbj sandwich! When we hadem they got what everything else got, and I don't remember them ever going hungry. When they tell me they want horse hay, I just say no.

I have two horses that spend all winter long in with the bred cows and bulls. They eat whatever the cows are eating. So in that case I must have spoiled cattle that get to enjoy "horse hay". Lol

I never ever gave refunds for hay. Once in a while I would exchange bales (usually for the exact same stuff lol), but no refunds. I'm OCD about how dry my hay is and check and recheck it before baling, so it was the rare occasion I actually had a "bad" square bale. Usually a bad customer looking for a way to get a discount or free hay.

if a cow eats it a horse can dang sure survive on it, they dont have a calf to feed. its the stupid owners that spoil their horses.

skyhightree1":2779q2fw said:
I hate horse people.. these jerks worried the hadies out of me cause they needed hay I told them I don't feel like going out to the barn they kept begging said they are bringing a trailer to get hay and they will load it.. I said well ok figured they would give me more Christmas $$ so ok.. how about these jackasses bought 3 square bales.. :bang: :mad:
Good lick young man. Did they want you to let them charge it for 30 days?? :lol: Now you know why horse hay is almost double cow hay (same hay)

Selling hay sucks, especially when they don't know what they want or don't understand enough to really know what your telling them. Then there was the idiot that couldn't drive five miles in a straight line with out calling three times for directions and then tried to hustle me.

TexasBred":2kaz5ytk said:
skyhightree1":2kaz5ytk said:
Good lick young man. Did they want you to let them charge it for 30 days?? :lol: Now you know why horse hay is almost double cow hay (same hay)

They got me but won't get me again

i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..

Yup. I don't sell hay anymore. Don't have to fertilize, cut,rake and bale as much I used to also. Nice!

They buy to eat themselves and apparently eat with their eyes. I have been through what a lot of you mention and quit squares entirely. Now if they squawk my hay I ask to see the pasture where their horses have been grazing. Shuts that up.

ddd75":11i7anzj said:
i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..
haha thats great, i would have turned around and sold it to another horse lady!

on my uncles place a few years ago a woman rented it to put 4 horses on, those horses winters hay consisted of some old 4x4 rolls that were half rotted from sittin outside. she brings a gooseneck load and just slings all the bales out in the pasture and the horses didnt see another bale for 3 months. they didnt die

We also get the "horse people" who come and want a truckload, then don't have the money, or want the chew you down on price. We have several people we have been selling to for over 20 years and we keep them. We have exchanged bales if they find some junk or mold as it can happen. Or we have told them up front that they might find some johnson grass and have given a few extra bales to compensate. We no longer take cold calls for hay. They have to be referred by someone, that we know, that won't send some jerk. Had one we had to basically threaten to get to pay us. So now it is payment on delivery before it comes off the trailer except to these few tried and true. If someone wants hay bad enough, they can come and we give them A BALE. They take it home, and see if their animals will eat it. Then we talk. We have some pure orchard grass stands, that are planted specifically for these horse hay people. One has some legit problems with clover and foundered horses, but she is a good customer, and will take some of the "less pure" with just pasture grass in it. So we take care of her. The biggest problem we have is getting help to make it. Stacking on the wagons, or loading on the trailer and unloading at those couple of tried and true customers. But they pay and help to unload if they are home. Often we will go unload and no one is there, and they will call the next day and say, how many bales and what do we owe and send a check right away.

Unfortunately, there are way too many not like them. Mostly now, we try to get them to come get it off the wagons, or directly dropped in the field. That way they can put what they want on their truck and pay and it is theirs. Done. I don't have the patience to deal with the ones that are jerks and if they don't like it, or whine or b##tch and complain, I tell them to leave it, my cows will eat it just fine. When their horses get hungry, they can pay more once it is in the barn. If we put it on the wagon, and they don't get it out of the field, and we have to take the wagon to the barn, it costs more. End of discussion.
We don't HAVE to deal with them, can sell all we make and then some, so we are getting pretty picky about who we sell to. It is a good income for us though and goes a long way towards paying for the costs of making all our hay so we do deal with some of it.

MtnCows93":11iafagh said:
ddd75":11iafagh said:

i would of but i need the hay.. haha

I know a few guys who are pretty into selling the horse hay. They have people who complain and will have them come pick it back up. They'll go get it, then in a month they'll call wanting hay. They'll show them the same exact hay for 3/more per bale and they are like.. yes, I like this, I want it. Then they load up the same hay and deliver it again.

I also heard of one guy who sprays his with green dye. they really pay for that :lol2:

ddd75":t1i82idk said:
MtnCows93":t1i82idk said:
ddd75":t1i82idk said:

i would of but i need the hay.. haha

I know a few guys who are pretty into selling the horse hay. They have people who complain and will have them come pick it back up. They'll go get it, then in a month they'll call wanting hay. They'll show them the same exact hay for 3/more per bale and they are like.. yes, I like this, I want it. Then they load up the same hay and deliver it again.

I also heard of one guy who sprays his with green dye. they really pay for that :lol2:
lmao thats too funny

ddd75":tj0llp18 said:

A guy here does that too. Buys cheap round bales and unrolls them with a modified peanut inverter and feeds the hay into the square baler just before after its sprayed with green dye.

You probably not going to believe this but he used to be an attorney till he was disbarred. (Yeah, I find it hard to believe an attorney can actually be disbarred but obviously they can be.)

Latest posts