Horse Dewomer for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Danielle

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to know if anyone ever uses horse paste dewormers on cattle? What I have is Ivermectin paste dewormer. I was going out to deworm the Horses and relized our two milk cows could probably use deworming as well. Oh also thought I would mention they are prego, but not in milk at the moment.

Any info would be great!

-Danielle and the Jerseys

Safeguard and the whole phebendazole (sp) line is safe for both. Be carefull using ivermectin that is not labled for a specific type of animal. I am told you do not use cattle ivomec on horses. They specifically sell them for different animals for a purpose.

jersey lilly":2gjci0p0 said:
You can use Regular Ivomec on horses.....given orally. Our vet tube worms with ivomec. You DO NOT give Ivomec Plus to horses tho.
that's how i worm my horse's with REGULAR ivomec just pull the wormer out with the needle then remove the needle and give it orally like with paste works fine. i even worm my dog that way

ALACOWMAN":3kvn2kd5 said:
jersey lilly":3kvn2kd5 said:
You can use Regular Ivomec on horses.....given orally. Our vet tube worms with ivomec. You DO NOT give Ivomec Plus to horses tho.
that's how i worm my horse's with REGULAR ivomec just pull the wormer out with the needle then remove the needle and give it orally like with paste works fine. i even worm my dog that way

The stuff can have serious side affects in dogs - dosage is less than 1cc for medium/large dog, if I remember the conversion correctly.

From a post Vicky the vet made awhile back...
>>herding dogs such as collies and shelties will die
others can also die, or become comatose and cost you a LOT of money to keep alive to recovery.
For Pete's sake, do it properly and don't use it!!<<

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15422

never had a problem but i dont over dose either already aware of the dosage amount POINT .1 cc per 10 pds. of body weight . wonder why other vets use it on dogs then

ALACOWMAN":3hrlutwo said:
never had a problem but i dont over dose either. wonder why other vets use it on dogs then
you can use it - you just have to figure out the correct dosage for your dogs weight
:idea: accuracy :idea: accuracy :idea: accuracy :idea:
don't use a regular needle - get one of the micro needles they use for human diabetes shots -
my vet said that you can easily take out their liver if you over do it
just get the heart worm pills from the vet - lot better than burying the dog!