Horrible

Help Support CattleToday:

J.Robinson":1siqqpzt said:
I wasnt sure were to post this I hope its ok I just saw this. 11 people and maybe a 1000 cattle and other live stock from a wildfire.
That is just awfull My prayers go out to their families

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/in ... h=itn_fire
My Heart goes out to all these folks.Sometimes, we need to stop and count our blessings that it's not us.Wish there was something we could do for these people that have had this tragedy occur.If any of Yall' know, please post it.Besides our Prayers...

Crowderfarms":x188slfd said:
J.Robinson":x188slfd said:
I wasnt sure were to post this I hope its ok I just saw this. 11 people and maybe a 1000 cattle and other live stock from a wildfire.
That is just awfull My prayers go out to their families

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/in ... h=itn_fire
My Heart goes out to all these folks.Sometimes, we need to stop and count our blessings that it's not us.Wish there was something we could do for these people that have had this tragedy occur.If any of Yall' know, please post it.Besides our Prayers...

Well said Crowder.... Amen

What an awful tragedy. I know I'll think twice before complaining about a lack of moisture again. Hopefully they'll get the fires under control soon.

Last weekend I walked down to the creek about a mile away where the resident cattle drink. I could not see it flowing. I will be wiring up my well this weekend.

Construction has started on my house. I am there almost every day. Last Friday I watched a construction worker flick a cigarette butt. I went ballistic, won't happen again.

I have a ton of live oaks on the property over 100 years old. Loosing those would bring my wife in tears

It is so dry here, I am covered in dust within 30 minutes working out there. Let alone the wind has been strong for over a week.

There was mention on the news this morning we might get some rain with the cold snap.

I sure hope so.

I have truly been blessed this year. There are others in my area that have been burned out. When the humidity is less than 10 percent, you are over 20 inches short on "normal" rainfall, and the winds are 40 mph, the flames move just as fast. You cannot outrun the flames.

Several air units have been brought into the area and we have fire fighters staged from places as far away as Minnesota. We are very appreciative of these individuals, their expertise, and the hydro planes and choppers.

These people have likely lost any hay they had and have nothing to feed surviving animals. It is a very sad situation. This whole area is short on hay to begin with and round bales are fetching as much as $95. These folks likely lost huge amounts of fencing that cannot be replaced very quickly.

If I had any hay left, I'd send it up there. Because of the drought, I started feeding hay in July of last year. I have no hay to send.

In 1990 I lost 4 buildings and all the fencing around a pasture. I have never used a wood post since on a perimeter fence. My home insurance only alloted 10% for "out buildings."

Hopefully, If Ma nature cooperates, we'll be done feeding Hay real soon. If there's any surplus of rolls around here, and anyone needs any PM me and I'll see what we can do to get something organized in this area for folks that need it that way.After all, we're the Volunteer State. I'm surprised something like this has not gone on ,(at least I've not heard of) as of yet. I know we've helped fellow Farmer's and Rancher's before, in areas affected by drought.

Our prayers are with you folks. If there is anything we can do here in Ms. let us know. I don't know what it might would be but we will try our best.

As of today, the news said over 700,000 acres had been burned and 11 lives lost. No mention of how many livestock lost. This is primarily the Texas Panhandle statistics. We're about 20 miles South of the worst of the fires that were along I-40. Childress area, about 30 miles South of us reported about 65,000 acres burned. Wind supposed to be up again tomorrow. "Slight" chance of rain (as usual) this weekend.

We feel very sorry for all the people and their ranches that have burned out. No hay in the area. Not sure what will happen to those people...unless some of the other States start shipping hay to those people. We're keeping our fingers crossed and prayers that fires don't come around here...however, there are still idiots that toss cigarettes out vehicles and others that are careless with sparks.

Essentially Texas and Okla is under a burning ban (obviously!). No outdoor welding, BBQ grills, etc., etc. allowed lest you get fined heavily (or shot by one's neighbors) if a fire breaks out.

We're a long way from being out of the woods yet!

On Sunday I-40 was shut down for about 90 miles between Amarillo and Shamrock due to smoke, fires, wrecks. All that traffic was re-routed via US 287 and US 83 (in front of our place)...looked like Dallas during rush hour. During that I-40 shutdown there was about a 700 vehicle line in the Clarendon (US 287) area gradually getting onto a 2-lane road heading East.

Running Arrow Bill":1fb0t434 said:
As of today, the news said over 700,000 acres had been burned and 11 lives lost. No mention of how many livestock lost. This is primarily the Texas Panhandle statistics. We're about 20 miles South of the worst of the fires that were along I-40. Childress area, about 30 miles South of us reported about 65,000 acres burned. Wind supposed to be up again tomorrow. "Slight" chance of rain (as usual) this weekend.

Please keep me posted on how it goes. I don't much trust the liberal media. We had good rain three weeks ago and we are finally sighing a little. I wish that for everybody.

backhoeboogie":2xyas8v0 said:
Running Arrow Bill":2xyas8v0 said:

Please keep me posted on how it goes. I don't much trust the liberal media. We had good rain three weeks ago and we are finally sighing a little. I wish that for everybody.
Saw some green grass around my parts in upstate Texas for the first time in a while.

Talltinter":2qd1byhz said:
Last weekend I walked down to the creek about a mile away where the resident cattle drink. I could not see it flowing. I will be wiring up my well this weekend.

Construction has started on my house. I am there almost every day. Last Friday I watched a construction worker flick a cigarette butt. I went ballistic, won't happen again.

Not to hijack this thread, but...GOOD FOR YOU. You did exactly the right thing. That little lapse of common sense could have caused a lot more people a lot of grief.

God Bless everyone in Texas, they need our prayers. I hope the wind shifts in the right direction to bring rain.

We all should Always be thankful for what we have, because it could be gone tomarrow.

God Bless Your in our thoughts and prayers.

Latest posts