Horned Hereford Assn.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I'm confused. Horned Herefords & Polled Herefords are now one breed association - right?
Just watched "Cattle Show". Their program was about Horned Herefords. A Thom Childress, CEO and a David Andrews, Founder - of "National Horned Hereford Breed Registry".
Andrews said "several years ago" he started this association, because the breed associations were too costly, too complicated, and he wanted to simplify it.

OK, does this mean there is NOW a new HH assoc?? or was this an ancient show???

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3q01w7lr said:
I'm confused. Horned Herefords & Polled Herefords are now one breed association - right?
Just watched "Cattle Show". Their program was about Horned Herefords. A Thom Childress, CEO and a David Andrews, Founder - of "National Horned Hereford Breed Registry".
Andrews said "several years ago" he started this association, because the breed associations were too costly, too complicated, and he wanted to simplify it.

OK, does this mean there is NOW a new HH assoc?? or was this an ancient show???

Been raising them for years and never heard of them.

I do have telephone and mail and so on - but then again I can be considered to live in an isolated part of the world.

Bez!

yes, Jeanne, the horned herefords & polled herefords are both registered with the American Hereford Association. a couple of breeders didn't like the fee schedule (TPR is mentioned frequently) of the AHA, so they decided to start their own association. personally, i'm not sure what the difference is in their certificates versus some i print off my own computer & label them "Txag's Hereford Association" (i'm pretty sure neither of us would be allowed in the herf shows or consignment sales requiring certificates). so a new association may have lower fees, but what are they doing with the money? the AHA does a lot to support the breeders and promote the breed, so i think there are quite a few of my dollars that are well spent. i would think that any breeder with quality animals could easily make up their fees by the sale of just one animal.

Not seeing a DATE as to when the program was filmed, I ASSUMED (and you know what that can do) that someone was venturing out on their own & making their own assn. Maybe they should hook up with the Black Hereford Assn.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3tnlmjm9 said:
Not seeing a DATE as to when the program was filmed, I ASSUMED (and you know what that can do) that someone was venturing out on their own & making their own assn. Maybe they should hook up with the Black Hereford Assn.

What? And join in with something that is not a Herf?

Even the Horned folks woiuld not stoop that low. :D

Bez!

I saw that program the other night, too. The calves in the feedlot were very impressive but the range cows didn't do much for me. Was kind of disappointed with the show, I wanted to see more cows and all they wanted to do was talk about who's who in the association.

Yes, there were a "few" decent broody cows, but there were more thin, no muscle cows. The feedlot steers were impressive - but they didn't really look like they had dehorned heads. Not saying that there aren't some powerful horned Hfd around, because there are. Just that THOSE steers didn't really look like HH.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1pflm45p said:

I'm gullable, did someone really start a Black Hereford Assn. I'm not interested in breeding my herefords black, but I'm always interested in what is happening out there, is there a web site, haven't heard of the Horned Hereford Assn. either, anybody have any more information on those guys. I got a hold of some older semen 2 years ago and bred cows to these older bulls got some good looking calves, I have a Prospector 7558, a David, and a 053, daughters. Any suggestions to what I should breed them to this year. The 7558 heifer has 7558 on the dams, dam side 4 generations back and on the dams sire was BarPipe breeding going back to Pacesetter about 4th generation . The other two the dams are of the BarPipe breeding on the sire side and David heifer, the dam goes back to GK Explosion 416N, and the 053 heifer goes back the WS DHR DUKE 8430. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Abby

Jeanne - Simme Valley":z8z378of said:
The feedlot steers were impressive - but they didn't really look like they had dehorned heads.

I'm glad you said that, I noticed the same thing. One of the most impressive to me looked like it may have been part red angus, could explain the polled heads.

When a calf is properly dehorned, you cannot tell that he was not polled from birth. Those feedlot steers were properly dehorned as calves. As for the cows in the pasture, they were a little thin for my taste. I guess just because the man wants to start a new breed association, that doesn't make his own herd any better.

Abby":puelscc9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":puelscc9 said:

I'm gullable, did someone really start a Black Hereford Assn. I'm not interested in breeding my herefords black, but I'm always interested in what is happening out there, is there a web site, haven't heard of the Horned Hereford Assn. either, anybody have any more information on those guys. I got a hold of some older semen 2 years ago and bred cows to these older bulls got some good looking calves, I have a Prospector 7558, a David, and a 053, daughters. Any suggestions to what I should breed them to this year. The 7558 heifer has 7558 on the dams, dam side 4 generations back and on the dams sire was BarPipe breeding going back to Pacesetter about 4th generation . The other two the dams are of the BarPipe breeding on the sire side and David heifer, the dam goes back to GK Explosion 416N, and the 053 heifer goes back the WS DHR DUKE 8430. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Abby

Mark Domino 8020 might work well on those. Or that Dark Prince bull Hambley posted the other day.

Latest posts