Horn Weights?

Help Support CattleToday:

SWSFHerefords

Reaction score
Has anyone ever weighted the horns on any of their cattle? I have a horned hereford heifer that is about a year old. Her horns are growing straight out of her head and I would like to turn them a little bit so it would be easier for her to go through a head chute. I have looked into the weights but there are different kinds (3/4 lb, 1 lb, 1 1/2 lbs). Im not sure what kind to use. Also, I have heard people say that the weights will break the horns. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Someone also told me to strap rebar to the horns and the horns would grow with the curve of the bar. But I dont think I could get her to leave it on long enough for that to happen. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

SWSFHerefords":19agix4o said:
Has anyone ever weighted the horns on any of their cattle? I have a horned hereford heifer that is about a year old. Her horns are growing straight out of her head and I would like to turn them a little bit so it would be easier for her to go through a head chute. I have looked into the weights but there are different kinds (3/4 lb, 1 lb, 1 1/2 lbs). Im not sure what kind to use. Also, I have heard people say that the weights will break the horns. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Someone also told me to strap rebar to the horns and the horns would grow with the curve of the bar. But I dont think I could get her to leave it on long enough for that to happen. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Yes - I have written pages on how we did it and do it - do not have time tonight though

Lots of info on this can be found with a search

LA - before he died wrote a real good piece on how to shave horns as well - I bet you can search it as well

Break the horns? Well not likely - but if they get caught the calf will pull the horn cover off - just spray it with a protective coating and leave it - it is like a finger nail - it will be fine and the hard cover will grow back

Rebar idea sounds wacky to me - want to do it - then do it right

Must go

Cheers

Bez+

Thank you Bez. I guess I should of tried a search but I was in a hurry so I didnt even think about it. :) I wasnt too hot on the Rebar idea either. Thanks for the information!

Have used them on bulls years ago. Still have a set on the wall in the shop. Never used them on heifers but would think the 3/4 would be enough. Be sure and take them off when you get them turned in the direction you want.

oscar p":2kwnu11n said:
Why not just cut them off?

Not every one hates, fears or finds horns a problem.

In fact probably more cattle in the world have them than do not.

Traditional animals have them - why not show them - Shorthorn, Hereford are only two of many fine breeds that carry them.

So - I would answer back - on animals you keep or plan to keep - why bother? Why not just make them look good?

A two way street.

But on this board a typical very typical and predictable question.

I was wondering who would be first - you beat my usual list of suspects - well done

Weight of weights ......

3/4 on a yearling heifer is plenty - about six weeks or the tip of the horns down to about the middle of the tips of her ears and you are pretty much done - they will curl around and over the top of her nose - not into the side of her head or into her eye.

Do not put the weights on too tight - you need some slack as the horns grow in diametre as well as length.

Regards

Bez+

I wasn't trying to be an a$$. :) 80% of my cattle had horns. You breed the horns off them you breed the milk out of them. But,if I'm going get them in the catch pen, get them in the headcatch,I'm going to cut them off. Opinions are like butt holes, everybody's got. :D

oscar p":2zbjfmis said:
Why not just cut them off?

She is a horned hereford. She was bred to have horns so I will not be cutting them off. Also, we have polled cattle that milk just as good if not better than our horned cattle have so I think the horns=milk theory isn't very truthful. Of course thats just my opinion.

Thank you Bez. I dont want them curved into her face or eyes just curved enough that they dont stick straight out of her head lol. I figure it would make things easier on her and us!

Leave her alone. Lateral horns are beautiful. She will learn to handle her horns, trust me on this one!