horn problem

Help Support CattleToday:

coondog

Reaction score
We have a 5 yr old Highland cow that has developed a problem with her horn. Went out today and noticed her right horn looked as if it had been burnt. The color was dark and it looks as if it has big blisters on it. The left horn seems to be perfectly fine. Any ideas what this might be? We are new to the cattle life so any help would be appreciated. Also she is nursing a 2 month old calf so this has really got me worried.

coondog":1iggiiou said:
We have a 5 yr old Highland cow that has developed a problem with her horn. Went out today and noticed her right horn looked as if it had been burnt. The color was dark and it looks as if it has big blisters on it. The left horn seems to be perfectly fine. Any ideas what this might be? We are new to the cattle life so any help would be appreciated. Also she is nursing a 2 month old calf so this has really got me worried.

Wow - burned? Never heard of this. Except in a barn fire once.

I run horned cattle as do many others here.

Sounds like an injury and / or an infection inside the horn.

As this is your very first post - and as per normal for many - especially those new to cattle - it is because of an animal injury or sickness - so - I will ask the standard questions:

Have you asked a veterinarian? Why / why not? If not - when do you plan to do this?

Do you know how to administer drugs - the proper location and methods? If you find a cause can you do the doctoring at your stage of cattle ownership?

Might be a good time to form a relationship with a decent veterinarian - they are a wealth of advice and knowledge.

The best you will get here from complete strangers is a guess - and likely nothing that will come to anything other than a best guess at that.

You could try a long acting antibiotic - but I do not recommend blindly using meds if you have no knowledge of this. You can wreck an animal if not careful.

Hope it is not too serious.

Regards

Bez>

I have a call in to our regular vet but have not recieved a return call yet. Sunday afternnon would be an emergency call but not as concerned about that as I am about the well being of my cow.

Just trying to get a jump on things and maybe find someone else that has the same issues. I know our vet is very good at what he does but he is only human and has only seen so much.

I have some antibiotics and know how to administer them just didn't want to approach the issue the wrong way.

Guess I'll just wait for the return phone call.

Thanks

coondog":38d0int2 said:
I have a call in to our regular vet but have not recieved a return call yet. Sunday afternnon would be an emergency call but not as concerned about that as I am about the well being of my cow.

Just trying to get a jump on things and maybe find someone else that has the same issues. I know our vet is very good at what he does but he is only human and has only seen so much.

I have some antibiotics and know how to administer them just didn't want to approach the issue the wrong way.

Guess I'll just wait for the return phone call.

Thanks

Let us know how it goes - post a pic if able - would like to see this.

Bez>

I discovered what is wrong with my cow.This morning when I got home from work I got the camera out to take some pictures of her horn and noticed there was no horn there. She had gotten it caught and ripped it off. I found the horn laying on the ground.

Still no call back from the vet, but I feel better now that I know what the issue is.

The whole situation sounds weird. I have never heard of something like that. Horned looked like its burned and blisters on it...o_O? Then it falls off. Are you still going to have the vet come out after you figured out what the problem was?

coondog":2ko4sm16 said:
I discovered what is wrong with my cow.This morning when I got home from work I got the camera out to take some pictures of her horn and noticed there was no horn there. She had gotten it caught and ripped it off. I found the horn laying on the ground.

Still no call back from the vet, but I feel better now that I know what the issue is.

Very common situation.

Bez>

Mongoose I assumed the horn was still on there. Guess I jumped the gun a little bit as I was just startled by the unknown sight.

Bez>":2omd0ng3 said:
coondog":2omd0ng3 said:

Very common situation.

Bez>

The horn falling off or no return call from the vet? :lol: :lol: :lol: