Hope I didn't create some vegetarians.

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
Neighbor buys a couple stocker calves every spring and butchers them in the fall. Wednesday was butcher day, and one of their heifers got out and ended up in my pasture. They called and told me what had happened and asked if they could just shoot it in my pasture, load it on their trailer and take it home. No problem. Neighbor and butcher show up with just a snowmobile trailer behind his truck, looks like I get to load the heifer up after they put it down. I got the impression the butcher had more to do that day and was in a little bit of a hurry. So after we get the heifer chained up and hanging off my front end loader he said it would really save a lot of monkeying around if I would just drive it over to the owners place. It's only a mile away and shouldn't take long so I agree. So down the road I go with a 1300 lb. heifer with it's neck sliced open hanging down from the loader. I'm thinking, at least their doesn't seem to be any traffic. I'm almost to the neighbors driveway when over the hill comes a school bus. The neighbor lives at an intersection and as I start turning in the driveway, the bus turns and is driving parallel with me with a half dozen kids staring out the windows.

I couldn't help but think of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite. Not something I wanted to happen. I pulled up in their yard and said "It was going good until I met the school bus." The butcher just shook his head and "Yea, that wasn't good." At least I was pulling in the neighbors driveway so I can always claim it wasn't me.

Sounds like you were doing a community service by getting a road hazard off the highway which prevented a bus load of children hitting it and them all dying in a firey crash. You need an award of some kind. Keys to the city maybe.

That's more of what happened isn't it?

Killing a crazed terrorist bovine is no reason to worry. Hero of the day! (just don't use the term "mad cow"....)

:lol: :lol2: :lol: and what time do expect camera crew from local tv station ,i would open my door slowly in the morning !! :lol2:
Now thats funny i dont care who you are !

My grandpa had one break it's leg in the feedyard a couple miles out of town and they shot it and slit it's throat and hung it from the tractor bucket. Drove it right through town past the school hanging upside down. I was in school at the time but we were very rural so it didn't affect anybody much.

ChrisB":1w1tl5qy said:
Neighbor buys a couple stocker calves every spring and butchers them in the fall. Wednesday was butcher day, and one of their heifers got out and ended up in my pasture. They called and told me what had happened and asked if they could just shoot it in my pasture, load it on their trailer and take it home. No problem. Neighbor and butcher show up with just a snowmobile trailer behind his truck, looks like I get to load the heifer up after they put it down. I got the impression the butcher had more to do that day and was in a little bit of a hurry. So after we get the heifer chained up and hanging off my front end loader he said it would really save a lot of monkeying around if I would just drive it over to the owners place. It's only a mile away and shouldn't take long so I agree. So down the road I go with a 1300 lb. heifer with it's neck sliced open hanging down from the loader. I'm thinking, at least their doesn't seem to be any traffic. I'm almost to the neighbors driveway when over the hill comes a school bus. The neighbor lives at an intersection and as I start turning in the driveway, the bus turns and is driving parallel with me with a half dozen kids staring out the windows.

I couldn't help but think of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite. Not something I wanted to happen. I pulled up in their yard and said "It was going good until I met the school bus." The butcher just shook his head and "Yea, that wasn't good." At least I was pulling in the neighbors driveway so I can always claim it wasn't me.

Had a similar situation a number of years ago with a 1600 lb. holstein bull. At least we laid him down on the flatbed of the one ton truck before driving him down the interstate about 15 miles to the slaughter house. Got a lot of weird looks though.

TexasBred":pl89p4j4 said:
Had a similar situation a number of years ago with a 1600 lb. holstein bull. At least we laid him down on the flatbed of the one ton truck before driving him down the interstate about 15 miles to the slaughter house. Got a lot of weird looks though.

You could have gotten a free meal if you'd parked in the back parking lot of Burger King and went in for lunch. I know this to be fact.

The kids will be fine, it's just some of the teachers and mommies who you've got to worry about. They'll put it in the kids' heads that what they've seen was traumatic and emotionally upsetting to them.

Latest posts