Honest input cost variables

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
I'm sure these numbers will be different for everyone but thought it may be useful to know what all goes into producing a calf. Whether it be cow/calf costs for producers or cost of gain for stocker/feeder operators. 1. Land costs- payment, payed for, lease, fertilizer, etc 2. Feed costs- feed, hay, mineral, creep feed etc 3. Medical- medicine, vaccinations, mortality 4. Equipment- tractors, feed truck, baler, trailer etc. I'm sure numbers can be personal. But what other variables can you think of? Also ways to cut costs/add value. Looking forward to the results

People are all over the place on this one. I can tell you one thing. IMHO. Anybody keeping accurate records, knows they ain't makin nothin.

RanchMan90":2xniln1x said:
I'm sure these numbers will be different for everyone but thought it may be useful to know what all goes into producing a calf. Whether it be cow/calf costs for producers or cost of gain for stocker/feeder operators. 1. Land costs- payment, payed for, lease, fertilizer, etc 2. Feed costs- feed, hay, mineral, creep feed etc 3. Medical- medicine, vaccinations, mortality 4. Equipment- tractors, feed truck, baler, trailer etc. I'm sure numbers can be personal. But what other variables can you think of? Also ways to cut costs/add value. Looking forward to the results
Your time...........put a value on it or pay yourself a reasonable salary for what you do. You're the hired hand.

TexasBred":2o64pcua said:
RanchMan90":2o64pcua said:
Your time...........put a value on it or pay yourself a reasonable salary for what you do. You're the hired hand.

And for the peace of mind....PRICELESS.

I know, I know!! I don't know what I'm talking about, BUT some things just make sense. Jim Garrish, a cattleman and ag professor originally from Missouri, now working in Idaho says "write a job description for every animal and see to it that they get the job done or get out. Number 1 on his list is "Rustle your own grub". Most successful ranchers I am in contact with make this a top priority.
Think of your animals as employees; they work for you, you don't work for them. Every time you find yourself doing something for an animal ask yourself "Is this something she could be doing for herself?"
When in doubt ask yourself "Who did it for the buffalo?" Who fertilized the prairie? (they did it themselves) Who mowed the weeds? (they ate what was in front of them or the weeds were grazed by deer, antelope or other ruminants--Get some goats or sheep)
Who brought them hay? (they dug through the snow to get to the grass) Who chopped the ice in the streams in winter? (they ate snow for water) Who vaccinated them? (genetics built immunity) Who sprayed for flies? (they kept moving ahead of the hatch, birds ate the maggots) Who assisted in a difficult birth? (Cow or calf or both died thus eliminating the weak from the herd--which is what you have to do after you have saved your investment--cull cow and calf from your herd. General rule: cull any animal that requires extra attention.)

We can't let our cows roam free as the buffalo did because of private land ownership and fences, so we have to provide certain things such as , well, the fence for one and water, salt and minerals. And we have to transport them to certain places as necessary. Beyond that you are taking a job away from an honest, hardworking cow who doesn't want to be on welfare.
Any time you get the urge to do something for your cows, take a cold shower, then go fishing.
Another general rule "Never have more machines than fishing poles (or golf clubs)

if i was in the cattle business to make a good living i wouldnt be in it.you raise cattle because its something that you love.you wont get rich at it.if your lucky you might break even.

City Guy":4rum6uuv said:
I know, I know!! I don't know what I'm talking about, BUT some things just make sense. Jim Garrish, a cattleman and ag professor originally from Missouri, now working in Idaho says "write a job description for every animal and see to it that they get the job done or get out. Number 1 on his list is "Rustle your own grub". Most successful ranchers I am in contact with make this a top priority.
Think of your animals as employees; they work for you, you don't work for them. Every time you find yourself doing something for an animal ask yourself "Is this something she could be doing for herself?"
When in doubt ask yourself "Who did it for the buffalo?" Who fertilized the prairie? (they did it themselves) Who mowed the weeds? (they ate what was in front of them or the weeds were grazed by deer, antelope or other ruminants--Get some goats or sheep)
Who brought them hay? (they dug through the snow to get to the grass) Who chopped the ice in the streams in winter? (they ate snow for water) Who vaccinated them? (genetics built immunity) Who sprayed for flies? (they kept moving ahead of the hatch, birds ate the maggots) Who assisted in a difficult birth? (Cow or calf or both died thus eliminating the weak from the herd--which is what you have to do after you have saved your investment--cull cow and calf from your herd. General rule: cull any animal that requires extra attention.)

We can't let our cows roam free as the buffalo did because of private land ownership and fences, so we have to provide certain things such as , well, the fence for one and water, salt and minerals. And we have to transport them to certain places as necessary. Beyond that you are taking a job away from an honest, hardworking cow who doesn't want to be on welfare.
Any time you get the urge to do something for your cows, take a cold shower, then go fishing.
Another general rule "Never have more machines than fishing poles (or golf clubs)

Where'd you copy that shyt from?

From dozens of real world cattlemen around the world. I guess hobby farming is different. Can't see working that hard for a hobby.
Will you explain to me what it is I got wrong, please?

City Guy":jg67nnlj said:
Who brought them hay? (they dug through the snow to get to the grass)

That may have worked great with a roaming herd that could travel to someplace with less winter. But as you mention private property and fences means your cattle have to stay where you put them. So in the north land where the snow can get 5 feet deep you must feed them hay, ain't seen a cow with the ability to graze through that.

That's true, of course. Do for them only what they can not do for themselves. Although I've heard some Canadians brag that their cows can dig through 4' of snow!! First liar doesn't stand a chance.

Ol' 243":3jvn97k7 said:
City Guy":3jvn97k7 said:

Where'd you copy that shyt from?

That ain't shyt. He actually gave a very good answer. Stock your land light enough where the cows can care for themselves. And select cattle that will do that. Let the cattle work for you. And You concentrate on your work.
If you have to work at a job , as the vast majority of small producers do. You'll be money ahead.

When you trap something in a cage you need to take care of it. At one time man travelled the country side trying to keep their belly full. You can run a cow or car into the ground without proper care. Some makes and models go a little longer than others, but without care they'll all be junk before long.
You to make money in cows you need to keep your imput cost less than a $1.00 a day.

I agree. But just because an animal is in a cage doesn't mean it is helpless--depends on the cage. Manager's (employer's) responsibility is to make that cage as self-sufficient as possible, i.e. stockpiled grass, rotational grazing, multiple species of plants and multiple species of animals working in harmony. Make it easy for your "employees" to do a great job and they will. Remember, they did it for 1000's of years without you.

Take care of your animals and they'll take care of you. Take EXTRA CARE of your animals and they'll take EXTRA CARE.

bigbull338, If maybe breaking even is what you're hoping for, that's what you'll get.

City Guy":zca79kwq said:
From dozens of real world cattlemen around the world. I guess hobby farming is different. Can't see working that hard for a hobby.
do you actually even own any cattle??

TexasBred":jadmxb1q said:
City Guy":jadmxb1q said:
do you actually even own any cattle??

I think you do city guy.
And your west of the Mississippi

One of the things I see all the time that I don't understand is people get in to the cattle business and they buy a new tractor/ equipment, a new trailer, new cattle pens, maybe some new fences... and the grass is crap. Tractors don't grow cattle.

The first place I dump any money in to... is the grass. Every thing else is bare bones until that grass is established, no brush, weeds, etc. If you have good grass and fat happy cows... the rest tends to fall in place a lot easier IMO.

Brute 23":298uy184 said:
The first place I dump any money in to... is the grass. Every thing else is bare bones until that grass is established, no brush, weeds, etc. If you have good grass and fat happy cows... the rest tends to fall in place a lot easier IMO.
That is a solid point that I'm just now getting. That whole deal about being a grass farmer that uses cows to harvest is the most productive thing I've learned here.

Brute 23: I agree! First things first.
TexasBred: What difference does it make? I'm either right or I'm wrong. Lets discuss and don't give me the obvious "each case is different" argument. If I can see that fighting flies with chemicals is a losing battle why can't you, with all your experience, convince me that I'm wrong? Sounds like it would be easy and satisfying yet no one has done it, why? I get "you don't understand" and "try it on your own and see what happens" and lots of other non-answers. I suppose I could use the same questions on you, "why don't you try it yourself and see what happens?". You are in a position to actually do it and prove yourself correct, but you won't do it, will you?

Latest posts