homemade waters

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
we raise bucket calves. right now we have individual 2 gallon buckets, looking for a better system. a guy was telling me the other day, that i could make automatic waters using 6 inch. pvc pipe an cutting holes that calves could drink out of. with an automatic float valve inserted in pipe. with clean out on each end. then fasten the lenth of the pens. of coures level wondering if anybody had any better ideas before i do this. thanks hillside

hillside":m2sc1yaj said:
we raise bucket calves. right now we have individual 2 gallon buckets, looking for a better system. a guy was telling me the other day, that i could make automatic waters using 6 inch. pvc pipe an cutting holes that calves could drink out of. with an automatic float valve inserted in pipe. with clean out on each end. then fasten the lenth of the pens. of coures level wondering if anybody had any better ideas before i do this. thanks hillside

What we did was run a length of threaded 5/8's pvc pipe, attach a garden hose to the threaded end and then cut holes above the tub in each pen and attach a short piece of hose with a faucet. Turn on the hydrant and fill each tub once a day.

Try finding you some of the black buckets from the high protein tubs, I got 10 from a local farmer, he gave them to me and they work great for a couple of cows/calves and need to only be filled every other day.

I even have 1 of them with a $10.00 float valve from Jeffers and it's automatic. It works fine for no more than 3-4 head.

Latest posts