Holstein cow down- UPDATE.. She's up!

Help Support CattleToday:

I was "browsing" through my vet books the other day and saw some tables on "causes of recumbency in dairy cows in order of probable order of frequency"...I'll copy it out for you.

Obviously the tables on "before" and "after parturition" doesn't apply, but the one on "other causes responsible at any time" does...

1. Toxic indigestion (fruit, grain, or forage)
2. Fractures (limbs, spine, pelvis, skull) or luxation of hips
3. Debility, cachexia or weakness due to acute or chronic diseases (anaplasmosis, leptospirosis, blackleg, anthrax, necrobacillosis, shipping fever, Johne's disease, traumatic pericarditis or diffuse peritonitis)
4. Septic mastitis
5. Meningitis, abscess, or cord or brain injury
6. Starvation, cachexia, and multiple feed deficiencies
7. Grass tetany
8. Poisonings
9. Gastroenteritis
10. Lymphocytoma
11. Nervous diseases, such as rabies and listeriosis

If that doesn't leave you more confused as to "what" and "why" than you were before...LOL. :lol:

Milkmaid,

Thank You so much for that! I am going to print it out. A vet came out to see her yesterday. She appears to be def. in salt and B-1. He really could not find anything else wrong with her. He also gave her a Methaline Blue (sp?) in the neck. He was impressed with the way she stood by herself ( after we helped get her up.) ( no injuries , etc.)

She was really perky when I brought her the rye hay today... So thank you for the list.. I will go over it with him....

Glad that was helpful. Let me know what the final diagnosis is...curiousity, as usual. ;-)

Milkmaid,

She took a couple of steps today. She looks like she is almost back to normal. She does not appear to be in any pain. She is eating Rye hay as we speak. I printed out your list and I am going to go over it with the vet tomorrow.

Gmn,

Sorry I did not respond sooner, she is approx. 8. She had Dex on the first day and Banamine. But it does not appear to be an injury, etc. She can stand with no problem on all legs. It is just when she goes to take a few steps.

[Milkmaid,

She took a couple of steps today. She looks like she is almost back to normal spirit wise. She does not appear to be in any pain. She is eating Rye hay as we speak. I printed out your list and I am going to go over it with the vet tomorrow.

Gmn,

Sorry I did not respond sooner, she is approx. 8. She had Dex on the first day and Banamine. But it does not appear to be an injury, etc. She can stand with no problem on all legs. It is just when she goes to take a few steps

Hi Guys,

Wanted to give you an update on our cow. She is up and walking. In fact , I think it was a calf that helped her. Soon after she was down (one of the calves that we raise, not hers) got out of it's pen and starting hanging out with her. Just as we were going to put the calf up, she started licking it. We decided to leave the calf with her for company.

Well the first day she walked (about 3 days ago) she walked to to calf and instantly started grooming it. It was amazing- the calf then licked her back. Their bond is wonderful. Anyway, she is not out of the woods yet. But the vet is impressed and she is getting stronger every day :D

Thank you Vicki and everyone that replied... I am glad that I did not give up....

Hi Kat. I'm new to forum. Please read my post today on downed cows. I hope it encourages you for hanging in there as you did.
Paulette

Paulette,

Thank you for your reply.

Your post really helped. I do believe the calf gave her the will to get better. It was funny, the first day the calf was out she was head butting the cow( I thought she was annoyed) and then after that they just bonded. I am so glad we left the calf with her.

The other day when we had her up , she was moving around in the harness and we took it off and she took 3 steps and went to the calf.( We were in disbelief) I believe it definately gave her the will to not give up. Now when the cow is laying down, the calf is right there giving her moral support. The calf licks her and shares her food. The calf definately gives the cow purpose.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard of someone putting a calf in with a downer cow. Weaned or not weaned. It does help.

Thanks for the update.

I don't care what anyone else says, I think you've done a wonderful thing, and I'm very glad to hear the cow is doing better. I don't many people that raise cattle and don't get attached to certain ones.

Good luck!

Thank you Milkmaid and Bull Lady,

I appreciate your kind words and support!

BTW, Milkmaid, we still do not have a def. diagnosis on her, but I really want to find something out.

I got into this conversation too late obviously, haven't been on the boards much, busy with our own herd. Just wanted to congratulate you on the cow being up. Putting a calf in with her was a great idea, sometimes giving them a reason to live does the trick. I too am interested in knowing what was wrong with her so please update us all!:)

Latest posts