Holstein calves

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Man I know has some Holstein calves that are just know ready to wean and he is wanting to sell them. Thought about buying a few. They are still bulls and haven't been dehorned yet. If I buy them should I leave them bulls and leave there horns on till this fall when it cools down? I thought if I left them bulls till then they might grow a little faster but still be small enough to steer then. Also if there on good grass and supplemented with corn and soymill how much do u think they would weight by early next spring? I thought if I bought a group of them now and keep then till next spring I could maybe make a little $$$$. He is wanting 350$ each does that sound like to much?

no to both qs.if you buy them steer them.because if you dont holstein bulls can get meaner than snakes.and they will turn on you.get the horns off of them as well because if you dont you could get horned pretty bad.

That price doesn't sound bad at all, in some areas I have heard of them bringing more that that. Some are paying that price for newborn bottle calves.

If you don't want to cut them, you can always band them and that will work too. Don't know what your weather is like, but here almost the middle of June and flies around here haven't been too bad. If weather is pretty decent I would go ahead and get them dehorned now, it will be easier on them now at this age than when they are bigger this fall.

While at this age they may be playful at this age, the only thing meaner than a Holstein is a Jersey. But I did have a Holstein bull try to take me when he was about 9 months old. That is one reason I like my bulls frozen, they don't fight and all get along in the semen tank just fine!!!

pricefarm":ntp65y1a said:
Also if there on good grass and supplemented with corn and soymeal how much do u think they would weigh by early next spring?
Over 2 lbs per day, so over 600 lbs more than they weigh now. [270 days x 2.223 lbs = 600 lbs]
Band them now and implant with ral-gro.
If you are going wait to dehorn them until after 1st frost, re-implant them at that time with encore.