hole in utter

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
Th cow I posted about with one huge utter had her calf a few days ago(very quick and easy), all seemed fine. Now that huge utter has a hole about an inch wide. Not really bleeding but fluid is dripping. You can kinda see up in it. I got her up but dont know what to do? I will try to get vet tomorrow. How bad is this. Just last night n the pouring rain we had to pull a dead calf out, saved the cow tho, she seems really good today. Any advise?

Well, that cow had mastitis in that quarter. What happened, is that it abcessed and ruptured. That quarter is shot. Chances are that if she is healthy, she has walled the infection off. If she is looking off, you will want to treat her. Contact your vet, and he will tell you what to treat her with. I would cull this cow, by fall at the very least.

Thanks. I should of raised a flag on the huge tit. She is very healthy and shows no signs of pain or sickness. The calf is doing good on the three tits. Does the hole need to be sewn up?

NO, you want to leave it open, so that it will drain. Sounds like she will be OK, though. Just keep an eye on her, and it should heal up on its own.

ok thanks. The vet should call tomrrow. Well, 2 more expecting moms left and ready to pop.. :clap: This stuff aint dull and boring is it.

just keep a close eye on her.if she has a hole in her teat she may leak milk from it.an watch her to make sure gangreen dont set up in that teat an rott it off.

I've said it over and over, big udders are nothing but trouble, I know this doesn't help now. Don't try get another calf out of those big uddered cows.

Amen about the big uddered cows, cull them while you can becuase they always give you trouble down the road. Last year we had a cow do basically the same thing as what you are saying happened to yours, we gave her some penicillin and watched that quarter closely, what eventually happened was that the flesh around the whole quarter around the problem teat just finally shed off, only it was hanging by the teat itself, which was still intact. I put her in the chute and took a sharp knife and cut the teat off at the base of the udder. The huge chunk of meat that was hanging from the teat weighed a couple pounds, and it didn't smell good. We watched her closely for awhile, she felt better almost immediately, and when we brought her in off the forest last fall you couldn't even tell anything had happened to her except she was missing a teat. Her calf was just as big as the rest as well.

The funniest part about it, and I kind of hate to admit this because it makes me look stupid, is that the cow was so normal that we forgot about it for awhile, and when we culled our open cows I forgot to pull her out as well, so we kept her all winter and I just noticed her when we started calving because I was paying a lot closer attention to their udders, when I saw this udder that looked like it only had 3 teats, and then I realized what we had done. I had to laugh about it though, and its kind of a running joke around here now, especially because her ear tag number is, you guessed it, #3.

So, hopefully I can remember this fall. :D