Hock lumps and swelling

Help Support CattleToday:

go west

Reaction score
Returning from a recent job away from home, I discovered one of our steers had injured the front of his left hock, leaving a shallow, jagged scrape, nothing serious looking. I've scrubbed it with iodine and sprayed it with an ointment, but noticed that the area around the scrape is "lumpy." These lumps are hard (scar tissue?).

In addition, a round (pencil eraser-sized) wound is near it that's still open, and on the inside of the same leg, within the same hock area, is a half-a-hens' egg sized swelling. There's no sign of a surface skin wound in that swollen area.

There's no elevated skin temp around any of these areas, and the steer let me scrub and examine the leg with no objection, so it doesn't seem to be overly tender.

My first thought is just to flush with cool water regularly, keep scrubbing it, and keep an eye out for healing... but I would like ideas and thoughts if you all have any.

Carol

Sounds like your on the right track .I would keep on with the iodine.If it's deep I might give some penicillin for a few days.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I'm wondering if cattle get proud flesh like horses can. For such a shallow scrape across the knee, the bumps seem strange to me. The steer is not limping or favoring the leg in any way I've caught sight of.

Carol

Latest posts