hock heeled?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I recently picked up a small hereford cow (about 900 pounds) and I really like her as far as disposition and pretty much everything about her except her feet kinda point out and one hoof is a little longer. She is bred about 2 months so I will at least keep her til she calves. My question is should I see how she does with this calf and make the decision to get rid of her or is this a nonissue as far as calving? I don't know her history but im thinking it may have been a hip injury. What are your thoughts? For the record I didn't pay but 700 dollars for her so its not too bad a gamble on her.

trappersteve":23dwy2ky said:
I recently picked up a small hereford cow (about 900 pounds) and I really like her as far as disposition and pretty much everything about her except her feet kinda point out and one hoof is a little longer. She is bred about 2 months so I will at least keep her til she calves. My question is should I see how she does with this calf and make the decision to get rid of her or is this a nonissue as far as calving? I don't know her history but im thinking it may have been a hip injury. What are your thoughts? For the record I didn't pay but 700 dollars for her so its not too bad a gamble on her.

Call your local dairy farmer and ask him who trims his cows feet - call that person and have that outfit come and do your cows feet - you will not regret it

Cheers

Bez

Sounds like it is a "nonissue" at the moment, because she would bring more than what you paid for her! Can you post a picture?

trappersteve":2c8plede said:
Can't post a picture I have a few on my phone but I've tried the photobucket thing and not real tech savvy

Can you email a pic and I post it for you? I will pm you my email.

branguscowgirl":sxdls9iq said:
trappersteve":sxdls9iq said:
Can't post a picture I have a few on my phone but I've tried the photobucket thing and not real tech savvy

Can you email a pic and I post it for you? I will pm you my email.
thanks branguscowgirl email sent

I'm going to guess that if this was bought at a sale barn, the last owner found the cow to be trouble or was headed for trouble. If you have a lot of cows, trouble cows are something you dont want. If she started having trouble after she calved, he probably kept her to weaning put some weight on her and let the bull breed her so he could sell her as a bred cow.
If it were mine, i'd keep an eye on her. If she ever starts pulling away from the herd, bring her in for special care..It may be once the cows are away from hay feeding and are then grazing, it may be the more she walks the more she hurts. Only time will tell................

cowgirl8":1ik5aarx said:
I'm going to guess that if this was bought at a sale barn, the last owner found the cow to be trouble or was headed for trouble. If you have a lot of cows, trouble cows are something you dont want. If she started having trouble after she calved, he probably kept her to weaning put some weight on her and let the bull breed her so he could sell her as a bred cow.
If it were mine, i'd keep an eye on her. If she ever starts pulling away from the herd, bring her in for special care..It may be once the cows are away from hay feeding and are then grazing, it may be the more she walks the more she hurts. Only time will tell................
I bought her from a big salebarn buyer so im sure that's where she came from. I actually turned her down the first time I saw her because she was limping but has not since I've had her (about a month)

Is she in a lot or is she where she has to walk around a lot? Like in a pasture of over 100 acres? She'll probably do ok if she's in a small pasture where she doesnt have to walk a lot. Some of our pastures are big and the walk to the pond long. Any cow with leg problems is going to have problems on a big place. Will she have to cross creeks, do you have big rocks, are the ponds boggy, all reasons cows with bad gams get culled.

cowgirl8":2j75cwtt said:
Is she in a lot or is she where she has to walk around a lot? Like in a pasture of over 100 acres? She'll probably do ok if she's in a small pasture where she doesnt have to walk a lot. Some of our pastures are big and the walk to the pond long. Any cow with leg problems is going to have problems on a big place. Will she have to cross creeks, do you have big rocks, are the ponds boggy, all reasons cows with bad gams get culled.
She is with the others on a small place (6 acres) no rocks just a little steep in places

trappersteve":2tk67fsb said:
[URL=[img]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/Stevescow_zpsa0c34422.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted pic of trappersteves cow for him.

You are welcome!
What I see, is both back feet do turn out. Probably just her conformation.
If she had a hip or pelvis injury, yes it could affect her calving. Meaning it could re-injure something during calving I suppose.
Her hoof being longer on that foot is simply from lack of use while she was not walking on it.
If it was a hoof or leg injury, it has obviously healed if she is no longer limping. In that case I would not worry about it.
That is all I can offer by not really knowing anymore than what we do.........

Latest posts