hiring help with cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
In the next few years we will be squeezed out by the neighboring town - if we sell out we can afford to triple our land and stop raising chickens and have cattle as our only operation.
my problem - I'm 45 working with my Dad 68, I'm not physically strong enough to do some of the jobs here on the farm (although as with most women, I've found other ways to get the same things done) but other than Dad there is no other family member able (or willing :roll: ) to do the work a cattle operation requires. Dad keeps asking me why I wasn't born a boy. ;-)
Here is my question, are there people out there that can be hired (at a reasonable salary) to do things like the old fashioned cowboys did? And, if such a person exists what might that reasonable salary be?

Mdm,

Talk to your local High school FFA advisor and see if they have someone in mind. I have found them to be a very useful resource for labor and reasonable as well as dependable.

Dub

I guess that when I say sell and triple our land - I'm saying we would also triple our cattle operation

mdmdogs3":3fssvjs6 said:
cornstalk":3fssvjs6 said:
mdm:

Are you single...? ;-) :heart: :D
are you healthy, strong and willing to work about 23 hours a day - we could maybe talk - ;-)

Never get in the way of a determined woman! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alot depends on how you feel about a INS-151...and whether or not your spanglish is any good.
Don't go the exchange student route...fine line between the chores that they are supposed to have and unpaid farm labor.

mdmd

Why not set up an operation that you can handle? With the right catch pens, chutes, head gates, loading chutes and a lil ole Hot Shot, I can't imagine anyone not being able to work cattle. It may cost you a few nickels to get everything set up but that would be a whole lot cheaper than hiring labor in the long haul.

As Boogie said, a good set-up would be the way to go. On those days when that does no good, I have found my neighbors more than willing to help out. I will of course return the favor when they need help.

mdmdogs3 - not sure of your location, however I'm in the same boat, only dad passed away a few years back. I've tried hiring help here in south Texas and believe it or not, nobody wants to do physical labor anymore. Not even the illegals. I did use one guy for two days to help out a friend, but he was more interested in finding a place to break horses and the fear of getting caught working an illegal made me a nervous wreck the two days he was on the place. I was relieved when he didn't come back. I hired four others (not illegals) and each one lasted a week, got their paycheck and didnt return on Monday. I did find a guy who would work for $10 an hour but I swear I could accomplish double what he was doing in a day. He did a good job, just worked very slow. I went back to doing things myself.

The suggestion made a few posts back about contacting the local FFA chapter at the high school might be a good bet for some part time or weekend help. I'm considering that option myself.

I'm surprised about how many of us single women are out here doing this alone at this age (40's). What I wonder is how many older women are doing it. I'm trying to figure out just how long I can keep this up myself.

Most of the larger ranches around me have hired help. Most of the workers come from south of the border also. It seems to me, not that I have ever done this or anything, just from what I've heard "other folks" say, is that you cant pay these guys by the hour to do the job. I have, or at least I mean I have heard, that you always determine a price to do the job, and then go from there. Nothing gets you madder than to see a guy you're paying by the hr leaning on a shovel when he should be digging post holes or whacking weeds.
If you believe you are going to have that large of an operation, you would probably be alot better off letting a family live in an old house on the property somewhere. Pay them about $1000 a month (cash) and they will work 6 days a week. They dont need a fancy place, just a roof over their head and 1 day a week off. And most of these guys can raise a family of 6 on $1000 a month, (believe me, I've seen it done!) and have a car to drive too. They will plant a garden and live off the land so money really isnt that big of a deal to them. You'll probably have to furnish a truck for during the week for them to haul supplies with and stuff, but most of them will provide their own family car.
You can go the high school kid route if you want, but unless your luck is better than most, you might find 1 or 2 out of five that will earn their money. They are out there, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Not sure about other states. The extension offices here in MO are very active in helping women in Ag. I know they offer management classes, etc. Maybe your local could help direct you in your search?

Not sure about other states. The extension offices here in MO are very active in helping women in Ag. I know they offer management classes, etc. Maybe your local could help direct you in your search?

Honey, around here it's still a man's world! They are helpful when I ask for information or advice, but I get the feeling they're humoring me and don't really take me seriously. I have started to notice I'm getting a little more respect these days. Each time I unload calves at the sale barn, they look at me and ask "you raise these yourself?" and look surprised when I answer "yes sir, I sure do." I guess you have to prove yourself to be taken seriously, no matter if you are a man or a woman. It just seems to take a little longer when you're a woman.

A6gal":33w067m7 said:
They are helpful when I ask for information or advice, but I get the feeling they're humoring me and don't really take me seriously.
They discriminate for anything that is out of their comfort zone. Gender, size, location, breeding program, etc.
K here is a tip and I'm not trying to be callous.
Every community has a few people who can do simple jobs.
They may not conform to ahh expected business practices.
But they work hard (most of the time hard not smart) they are loyal, and don't have the smarts to spend their time trying to figure out how to beat you outta something.
You will have to put up with idiosyncrasy or two.
But with the human relations part of management it always something though huh.
If your lucky enough to find one of these gems do right by them.

I was in Apache OK last week at a auction, A woman owns a very large ranch, she had about 60 head for sale, all her cattle sold for top dollar. Some of the best cattle I have seen in along time.

I use kids from the local FFA.

I don't know how it works in your state, but here most of the operations depend highly on dayworkers. Do what you can yourself and hire dayworkers to fill the gaps like riding cattle out or processing at the pens. The good ones bring dogs. 1099 them and don't worry about the tax liabilities.

Really hard to find anykind of help around here. High School boys at $8 per hour don't last long and would rather have a cell phone stuck in their ear than work. Even called the sale barn to try and get some day help. Only person I can find in a 60 year old that will help me on weekends fot $12 an hour. Looks like a geriatric (?) ward around here. Don't know what we'll do 5 or 10 years from now. Thought surely we could find help by now.

Norris

A6gal":1yuw2yw5 said:
mdmdogs3 - not sure of your location, however I'm in the same boat, only dad passed away a few years back. I've tried hiring help here in south Texas and believe it or not, nobody wants to do physical labor anymore. Not even the illegals. I did use one guy for two days to help out a friend, but he was more interested in finding a place to break horses and the fear of getting caught working an illegal made me a nervous wreck the two days he was on the place. I was relieved when he didn't come back. I hired four others (not illegals) and each one lasted a week, got their paycheck and didnt return on Monday. I did find a guy who would work for $10 an hour but I swear I could accomplish double what he was doing in a day. He did a good job, just worked very slow. I went back to doing things myself.

The suggestion made a few posts back about contacting the local FFA chapter at the high school might be a good bet for some part time or weekend help. I'm considering that option myself.

I'm surprised about how many of us single women are out here doing this alone at this age (40's). What I wonder is how many older women are doing it. I'm trying to figure out just how long I can keep this up myself.
Well said.And be proud of yourself! Finding anyone willing to do Farm work around here is almost impossible. I can only imagine a Woman being alone and trying to do it all.The Boys around here that dont live on a farm wont get off their dead butts and do a thing anymore.They dont want to be bothered, or they complain it's too hot or too cold.Seems like you've got to be self sufficient and do it all yourself. My Wife and I have have learned we have to work as a team.

You would be surprised of who's out there that would be more than happy to work with your cattle. I put an add in the paper and my phone never stopped and I was able to get a retired individual with two grandsons that work on my places.

It's nearly impossible to find help up here, too. A person wants the job, they are hired, they find out it's physical work or long hours and they are gone. No one wants to work anymore.