hiring butcher?

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
is it common for a butcher to poach or steal good cut meat and replace it for another meat?
also, do you really think the hamburger meat that they make is your meat that you want for lean meat?
i have not found a butcher that will cut your meat there at your land. any generous inputs or suggestions?
thank you kindly for your generous and sincere advices. uscangus

first of all, we don't know where you live so it's not possible to reccomend a homesite butcher. as to the first part of your question, i think everyone who has taken a beef to a butcher barn has wondered if they got their own beef back. the fact is there's no way to be sure, at least none that i know of; however, if the practice of switching beef became public it would be bad for the butcher. i don't think it happens as much as owners suspect, but that's just my opinion.

It goes back to everyone thinks they raise the best beef in the world. Having owned a part of a custom butcher shop I know we were suspected of keeping others beef but it didn;t happen. In most cases we could buy better commercial beef then the majority of what customers raised.

I have used the same butcher for a few years, I have always felt I got my beef back. I grain my butcher steers pretty heavy for 90 days, they are given a heavy dose of injectable wormer at the time I start to grain. By the time they are slaughtered they have a heavy layer of white fat (as opposed to yellow fat) and marbled pretty well. They hang for 14 days and come back very tender. I've seen plenty of cr@ppy looking carcasses in his truck. Most of the time it's easy to tell what your beef looks like. I
can't help but roll my eyes every time I hear or read "I have a bull I have used for a couple of years... We'll just put him in the freezer".

I think Dun is right, most folks think they raise good freezer beef and know it can't be theirs when it comes back from the butcher. If a butcher did that he wouldn't stay in business long, like any other profession.

Alan

I do know of a case in which the butcher kept some beef and added water to the burger. They are no longer in business and not a worry. Did it to several people.

They do not cut the beef on your place right away because it needs to cool and be aged. Best place is their walk in cooler.

Does the occasional steak get poached? It could happen although I doubt it is very common. But when the butcher is cutting and wrapping several whole beef each day, well how much meat is he going to eat on the day he is processing my beef? There are bigger things to worry about.

Cracks me up that it is almost always the case that the local meat processor is a crook but the one in the next town is OK. Food for thought :shock:

3waycross":306ohu2l said:
Cracks me up that it is almost always the case that the local meat processor is a crook but the one in the next town is OK. Food for thought :shock:

Well, in my case its true. Closest butcher 10 minutes away called my friend several times to pick up his hog. Funny thing is he had dropped off a sheep, and already picked it up 2 weeks prior. Next closest is 1 hour away and I used myself. Dropped off a fattened heiffer, picked up later and there wasnt a single ribeye or porterhouse as I requested. Best one is 1.5 hrs away, and have dropped off hogs, beef, and even though sometimes my meat isn't the best out there, I have no doubt its mine. I have watched them from start to finish, and they are old school and very good and fair.

uscangus":j8pw7qko said:
is it common for a butcher to poach or steal good cut meat and replace it for another meat?
also, do you really think the hamburger meat that they make is your meat that you want for lean meat?
i have not found a butcher that will cut your meat there at your land. any generous inputs or suggestions?
thank you kindly for your generous and sincere advices. uscangus

I don't know how common it is for a butcher to pull that stuff, but I do know that the butcher I use now, has walked me through their entire operation (spending several hours at this), given me knives and meat from their freezer to try. I send anyone who asks me about butchers happily their way.

dun":1ujuuryc said:
It goes back to everyone thinks they raise the best beef in the world. Having owned a part of a custom butcher shop I know we were suspected of keeping others beef but it didn;t happen. In most cases we could buy better commercial beef then the majority of what customers raised.
I agree with Dun
Most of the farm raised beef I cut up I would not have had it for it, it would not compare to commercial beefs. I feal the same way about a lot of the show cattle that we use to butcher.
I did say most but not all, so no one get all upset and start telling me how wronge I am. I have seen some good ones just not a lot.

Dave":1c1gf59j said:
Does the occasional steak get poached? It could happen although I doubt it is very common. But when the butcher is cutting and wrapping several whole beef each day, well how much meat is he going to eat on the day he is processing my beef? There are bigger things to worry about.

it is not that he is going to consume all that beef. some may sell some beefs to other people. imagined, everyday he butchered cows per day. it adds up.

BRYANT":23sqkxni said:
dun":23sqkxni said:
I agree with Dun
Most of the farm raised beef I cut up I would not have had it for it, it would not compare to commercial beefs. I feal the same way about a lot of the show cattle that we use to butcher.
I did say most but not all, so no one get all upset and start telling me how wronge I am. I have seen some good ones just not a lot.

Most show steers aren't raised for carcass quality......they are raised to have big bones and lots of long hair and lots of fat.

You get a good honest butcher you have no problems.

Right now our butcher is steaming mad. He got in the 4-H beef and called up our vet's daughter who buys her steers from us. The USDA place they sent the steers to be killed and scored screwed up. They didn't cut her steer straight down the backbone, but at an angle which took off at least 3" of ribeye and they also cut it in the wrong spot and took more off.
No wonder she scored so low.
He said if they had done it right she should have placed in the top 5. Said that was some of the better looking beef he had gotten in. Took him an extra 2 hours to try and cut it correctly.
The lady who bought it for a certain buyer works for him and she was ticked off too.

dun":1qeroar4 said:

Thanks Dun or anyone in this board with your generous advices, what is the difference of usda or non-usda butcher. what are the requirements for usda butcher or regular butcher. like i said being a newbie, i am just asking questions that may benefits me or any one in this board. thanks for a million. uscangus.............

uscangus":3bku6lkt said:
what is the difference of usda or non-usda butcher. what are the requirements for usda butcher or regular butcher. like i said being a newbie, i am just asking questions that may benefits me or any one in this board.
All butcher shops are suppose to be inspected
When we owned a custom shop it got inspected but it had a different code to follow than the larger packing house I worked at.They would come by and inspect every few days kind of like they do with a restaurant. At the large packing plant we had several goverment inspecters there at all times.