Hip replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
How many have had one?

Got a new hip last Tuesday, out for 2.5 hours, was walking 3 hours after that. Doing their exercises a fair bit more than called for and walking 400 yards now.
Get stiff and sore when in one position long so sleep is an issue.
Lookingto be home before Christmas, staying with in laws 6 hours from there and close to hospital.

Good job! Don't overdo, but keep pushing yourself. BFF's dad had hip replacement a few years ago but never really followed through with the physical therapy - and he's paying for it.

Staying with your in laws for an extended length of time also warrants accolades;)

I had an ankle replaced in Feb 2020.... kept in boot for an extra month due to covid restrictions bs...finally got into regular PT after that and did whatever they wanted me to do FAITHFULLY and have done FANTASTIC. Best thing I ever did. Hoping to do both knees.... have appt with a dr that has a very good rep in late Jan..... does a procedure that is called the Mako procedure....newer method..... My PT's mom had both hers done and was walking without a cane or anything by 8 weeks post op..... 2.5 hours to do both..... PT said that if both are bad, don't do the worst, then the "better one".... it puts too much pressure on the "better one".... I want a ONE STOP deal....pain and "laid up" time ONCE...... he said that PT is important, but so is attitude and determination to get better.....
Good Luck... I want to walk like a normal person again and not hurt so bad.

Total knee replacement in August. Physical therapy a problem as same side hip is bone on bone. Due for hip in January. I can bend knee
but still can not put on a sock. Hip sounds like Orville's popcorn machine when I do certain exercises. Was told not to do those.
So much bone loss in hip leg is shorter than other. The better half got me a long pillow that I could use to put the bad knee on and keep
leg straight at night. Getting help with cows from neighbors hired man . Gave him a couple so he has some skin in the game. Doc told
me my days on a tractor are done. Was told hip is easier than knee. Sure hope that's true so I can get back to proper therapy.

Had new one replaced 7 months ago, but waited for 7 years to get it done. Could not walk 10 feet. Unfortunately, I lost plenty of muscle mass on left side. Still building up the muscles, but zero pain. Was a hard headed dumb ass retired coach, should have done it 7 years ago!! Oh well, live and learn!!

I had an ankle replaced in Feb 2020.... kept in boot for an extra month due to covid restrictions bs...finally got into regular PT after that and did whatever they wanted me to do FAITHFULLY and have done FANTASTIC. Best thing I ever did. Hoping to do both knees.... have appt with a dr that has a very good rep in late Jan..... does a procedure that is called the Mako procedure....newer method..... My PT's mom had both hers done and was walking without a cane or anything by 8 weeks post op..... 2.5 hours to do both..... PT said that if both are bad, don't do the worst, then the "better one".... it puts too much pressure on the "better one".... I want a ONE STOP deal....pain and "laid up" time ONCE...... he said that PT is important, but so is attitude and determination to get better.....
Good Luck... I want to walk like a normal person again and not hurt so bad.
I had double knee replacement in 2012. Gave me my life back. Just make sure you do the rehab (I did 2 weeks in same hospital and the physio was a dragon (bless her heart) but I left with 2 walking sticks. Kept exercising at home as per instructions and can't believe how good the past 8 years have been. Forever grateful to my surgeon and the physio.

@diana55 , thanks for the tip. Yes, I went from the hosp to a rehab for the ankle..... it was in a cast for 2 weeks and then they put it in the boot.... all bandaged tight but at least I could take the boot off to sleep. I was in the rehab for 2 1/2 weeks allowed with our medicare and did exercises and all to keep my legs/knees etc, all the muscles working. As soon as I got home they shut everything down, so had to wait an extra month before they got the stitches out, and started the actual rehab of the ankle. I tried to do everything they said, since I was a month "late" getting started. And I still do some with the continued PT as he is trying to help me keep what I can with the knees, and works the ankle a little too even though they have all said I have as much or more use than most people get. My PT said that his mom was doing very good within about 2 weeks, and you could barely ever tell she had had them done at 8 weeks. He said she is still doing PT, and I take it that she is not as "pushing" as she could be by his comments, but he is still impressed. He said that I will feel relief the next day because they hurt so much now. And he thinks I will have some more improvement with the ankle just from the knees not hurting and being able to walk. That is why I want to go to a rehab.... they will make me do stuff there, and it is everyday, and like with the ankle even though it was much more restricted, and it will help me to get a handle on the exercises, and by the time the 2-3 weeks are up, I should be better able to do it on my own at home and with continued PT. I will always be very thankful to my ankle dr.... it has been really a good experience....would have donje it sooner if I had found him sooner..... just soooooo glad I never gave in sooner to one that wanted to fuse it......

@Lee VanRoss ; take heart that if you get the hip done, and your PT is good, you will continue to get benefit in the knee especially since it fairly recent. My PT said I will get more with the ankle and it will be a year in Feb since the surgery.... One of the milk testers here got one hip done 10+ years ago in her 40's.... did the second one a couple years ago. She was back to work in less than 8 weeks. Everyone else has said that the hips are the easiest.....shoulders are supposed to be the hardest. And most people I ever talked to hadn't known that they replaced ankles......but it was absolutely the very best thing I ever did. I am praying that there will be a cancellation so I can get in to the dr sooner, and a cancellation so I can get the knees done sooner. Can't be laid up during hay season and I can manage on a tractor for raking and such so if they can't get me in right away, it will be late late fall before I do them probably.

@gcreekrch glad that you are getting along. Do all the rehab/exercises you can.... and don't discount the tractor work if you do it carefully. My PT has said that I should be able to go back to doing most everything I am doing now without the pain.... just have to be a little more careful so that I don't get in a bad situation with the animals. No jumping off equipment... carefully getting on and off and taking care of the joints.

farmerJan > Pending insurance restrictions try a different facility. Don't know when you hay but I think you about 4 months out at soonest.
Once you get a knee done STAY OFF the tractor! I am not going to get into the thought process of that other than to think outsid the box!
For me it has involved selling some stock I would rather keep, changing ration, giving neighbors hired hand stock so he could have 'skin in
the game' In other words I had to give up part of me to save some of me. You will be OK

No, I won't go to a different facility. The dr I want operates strictly out of this one facility, it is dedicated to strictly the ortho drs that participate in that facility. Not a "public hosp" per se... strictly a facility for their orthopedic surgeries. Has a very high recommendation . And my PT was suitably impressed and he has been doing PT for many years. He worked on me back 20 yrs ago when I had the car wreck and if it is good enough for him to give a thumbs up for his mother.... it is good enough for me. The biggest thing is the whole covid stuff..... shut downs and all.....
My PT guy said that I whould have absolutely no problems after complete rehab with getting back on a tractor if careful. His family is farm background.... If I cannot get in to get it done before hay season, I will put it off until after we are caught up for the fall. Not going to do something stupid, too soon, or anything else. It pretty well looks like it will be late fall for surgery.

Latest posts