highlander sweating

Help Support CattleToday:

gbowman

Reaction score
I am new to keeping cattle and have a small herd of highlanders which I plan to bread from and show. As a not very knowledgable novice every slight apparent problem is of unreasonable concern. most situations clear themselves. my latest concern is that i have a two year old heiffer who appears to be sweating - has a damp coat- and laboured breathing just like I would be if I had flu. any comments

My cow does the same thing-- I was worried about pnuemonia also.I took her temperature, it was normal. I called the Vet he said to give her antibiotics, but I decided to wait a day or two. She has been fine, it's been a month or so. it is kind of normal to be extra-sensitive at first with new critters.
Have you taken her temperature? Don't forget to tie a string in the thermometer so it won't get sucked in. :)
BTW I've decided that my cow just is a heavy eater and she will break into a sweat trying to get all that grass into her face. But this may not be the case for your cow, just my experience-
Keep us posted-
Susie

susie":z045lea8 said:
Don't forget to tie a string in the thermometer so it won't get sucked in. :)
Susie

I've always had more of a problem with it getting squirted out and breaking on the ground. If I'm not going to stand right there I have a fever stick with a string and an alligator clip on it. I clip it to the hair on the tail head. I don;t understand why those things have gotten so pricey the last couple of years but can't afford to break them anymore.

dun

gbowman. I keep highlands in the UK. I find they tend no t to sweat due to heat (which they seem to adapt to well). My first suggestion (and something I encounter each year) is CHECK FOR CATTLE LICE, which highlands get easily due to the long hair. Look closely at the skin under the soft under hair (on the centre line running down the back is a good place as the hair parts there). You will see the little blighters as tiny yellow/white worms. Use a good pour on de-licer (Ridect for example) right down the back centre parting and down the neck. Only takes 24-48 hours to work. Repeat once more if required as directed on bottle. Lice tend to come from hay/straw you have bought in, which is why cattle are sweating inside (not neccessarlily the heat).

Fanstastic breed. Great choice. Best of luck!

everything now appears back to normal but I am very pleased and greatly encouraged by the helpful ness of the responses I have had. thank you all. Mike I am also in the uk did you know that there is a highlander sale at codicote near hitchin herts on saturday 11th June

gbowman. Thanks for the heads-upon the Hitchin Sale.
Glad you got your sweating problem sorted out. Was it lice?
Just added a lovely little red heifer to the fold, born last Tuesday. She was premature and it took us 4 days of tubing, bottle feeding and stripping out her mum before we managed to get her to feed off the udder... but we got there, and worth all the effort. A big learning curve, but if you ever find yourself in the same position.....

Latest posts