high speed internet in rural areas

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We are maybe moving to a more rural area and we are pretty sure there is not high speed internet service. I know many of y'all on this board are out in the booneys--do any of you get high speed internet and if so--how? What is your service etc.?

We get DSL over the phone lines, used to have it over a wireless internet provider in the area. Friend of ours gets it via hughes satellite

we live way out and the only Internet available is wireless. It broadcasts from a tower 10 miles away. We have an antenna looking deal mounted on the house.

We use a wireless service thru a cell phone company, usually about a 1mb speed. Can't dsl so it is that or satellite and not heard much good about it in my area.

My property is in the one major dead zone for cell service in Oregon. I'm considering trying to get a tower on my land and perhaps free service for life in return. It's either that or I have to research satellite service and that isn't appealing. :compute:

I get telephone, internet and HD TV all over telephone lines from our local phone company. all three work amazingly well. Wisconsin has a program to bring HS internet to all parts of the state as it is essential to businesses these days as well as rural farms and homes. My first choice would be to see if the local phone company offers internet service along with the phone and maybe TV. jmho.

Jim

We've never had a land line, and wireless just became available about a year ago. We did not have internet at home until about a week before I joined CT! I use Verizon's mifi. If you have a cell phone signal, you can have HS internet. Actually, it seems the mifi does better than the phones when you're on the edge of service area as we are. Also very portable. There is a signal booster available (Probably what Iso is talking about), prices range from $250-750. I don't have one yet, but will probably get one soon for the "bad" reception days. I just haven't heard many reviews on them yet.

gimpyrancher":2c77qdeg said:
My property is in the one major dead zone for cell service in Oregon. I'm considering trying to get a tower on my land and perhaps free service for life in return. It's either that or I have to research satellite service and that isn't appealing. :compute:
Don't be so easy gimpy. They usually pay from 500 to 1000 a month for those sites. :nod:

hooknline":1dhemtcd said:
Forget high speed, I'm still waiting for my free ice cream.
You can buy that for yourself (and little else) with your "change"!

melking":119u5plm said:
We use Wildblue satellite. So far so good but not a quick as comcrap in town

I used to be on dial-up but it got so crappy and was incredibly slow. I researched all of our options for our area, Broadband (not anywhere near a tower) DSL (the 'lines' are not up the 'side road' but 1 1/4 mile away on a main road) through my cell carrier (not a consistent signal at our place and too pricey anyhow)and satellite-HughesNet or WildBlue (apparently HughesNet is a subsidiary of Dishnetwork/WildBlue) Anyhow, between the 2 satellite options we went with Wildblue (better price options). Wanted to deal directly with Wilblue but was told we would have to go through DishNetwork.

You have to pick a 'package'. 3 'packages' @ 3 different prices. Prices are based on speed and amounts of data---data uploading and data downloading.

We are more happy with the satellite than with dial-up. Pictures load quicker and most things are a bit 'faster' but not as quick as Broadband or DSL (for our area anyhow). During the daytime things are faster, at night it is much slower. Bad weather slows things as well.

Overall, satisfied.

Hope that helps.

Katherine

sprint wireless broadband card..60$ mo. unlimited..werks pretty darn good...and we take it on the laptop anywhere..camping traveling whatever..its good

Kathie in Thorp":2795atir said:
We also have DSL over the hard-wired phone line -- but that wasn't available until a little over a year ago.
Ours was only about 6 months ago.

dieselbeef":2q41lgv2 said:
sprint wireless broadband card..60$ mo. unlimited..werks pretty darn good...and we take it on the laptop anywhere..camping traveling whatever..its good
Pretty much what we have except it's with Verizon. Seems to be all we need.

Isomade":1ka8iaip said:
we live way out and the only Internet available is wireless. It broadcasts from a tower 10 miles away. We have an antenna looking deal mounted on the house.

That's what I have too.

Latest posts